cracking exhaust manifold on mudd-ox turbo diesel

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cracking exhaust manifold on mudd-ox turbo diesel

cracking exhaust manifold on mudd-ox turbo diesel

Hi:
    I have a 2015 turbo diesel mudd-ox I got from Matt, I did a trade in on an older model, picked it up almost a year ago, in December. In February the exhaust manifold cracked, contacted Matt and he sent me out a new exhaust manifold, I replaced it and now again, 10 months later it has again cracked. It cracked last week and I have not talked to Matt about it yet. Just wondering if any members here have had any issues with their exhaust manifold cracking on their diesel mudd-ox, or any ideas why this is happening?

davek

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say improper warmup/cooldown times. If you're in an extremely cold climate and fire the machine up, then go straight to putting any load on the engine without letting everything gradually come up to temp, I'd imagine that would be quite the temperature shock to lots of parts in the engine, especially the exhaust manifold which is much thinner than other components, but experiences all of the heat exiting the cylinders. The same applies to cooldown, if the engine is up to temp, and immediately shut off after use, depending on the ambient temperatures it could be forced to cool down, and therefore contract way too quickly than the metal can withstand. Even if you usually let it warm up and cooldown properly, there could be times you forget about it, and over the course of nearly a year that would take its toll.

Also, I'm not trying to blame you for this, just trying to offer up an explanation. I'm no expert though, hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm or deny what I've said.

yes, the quick heating and cooling can cause premature metal fatigue. some dragsters wrap the manifolds so it won't be too cold in low temps when the engine fires up. then when it's shut down, the cooling process is slower and less stress on the metal. also make sure the manifold is not the only thing supporting the rest of the exhaust system. just a few thoughts. good luck.... j.b.

be sure and check if the wrapping would help in your case...j.s.

I would call the manufacturer of the engine and see what they say, could be a design flaw of where the engine is located in a given vehicle. like not enough air flow around the manifold or manifold support. I have noticed over the years working on diesels that they normally crack from extreme heat if they are supported correctly.
    show pics

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-22-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Well, it happened again for a third time, cracked exhaust manifold. Seems I get about 9 months running before it cracks again. I took it in to Service Motors, a Kubota dealer and they checked it out and told me that 3 of the 4 motor mounts were broken as well as one metal bracket that holds the mount in place, so I am thinking that this is the root cause of my exhaust manifold cracking problem, that I have been plagued with since getting the machine. Now need to get it fixed, that'a the problem now, been in their shop for a month now. Can someone here tell me what's up with Mudd-Ox and Matt, I have called and left numerous messages to the Mudd-Ox shop as well as Matt's cell phone and never get a response back. Service Motors has called Mudd-Ox and no response back. Jeff at Service Motors got in contact with a Mudd-Ox dealer in Florida and they have the same issue call and leave messages, needs parts for repair and no response back. I don't get it, Matt has always been good with getting back to me, so makes me think there's something up with Mudd-Ox. Can anyone here tell me why Mudd-Ox and Matt are incognito?

Hi davek we are working alongside Kubota to find a solution to this problem. We are also working alongside our dealer and your mechanic to get your machine repaired in accordance to Kubota's recommendations. Once we find out more information from Kubota, we will be contact with you. We are sorry for the manifold issues and hope to have your Mudd-Ox back on the trail soon.

looks like you found the right number. it only took 2 hours for a call back.

Well it looks like I am going to be taking a road trip down to Mudd-Ox in Shipshewana Indiana from Central Wisconsin. Service Motors wants 1K dollars in labor to replace the motor mounts and broken exhaust manifold, and Matt says he will fix it for cost of parts and no labor charge. So, gotta line up a trailer for hauling my machine. Looking at all my options, there was a guy from Northern Wisconsin that once hauled my machine down to Indiana at reasonable cost but I believe he no longer does it. Does anyone here know of someone close by me who does hauling freight, or even a long shot anyone from the Midwest going down to Mudd-Ox that could pick up my machine and we could split the cost of gas and shipping?

I replaced the exhaust manifold once myself, but service motors says the engine needs to be pulled to replace the mounts, if that's the case I don't have the means

to tackle that, otherwise I would.

Matt if you or your son read this, I called yesterday and left a message but never got a call back, don't send the parts to me seeing how I will bringing my machine down to you, last I talked to Matt for whatever reason he says he never got my phone messages.

+ Reply to Thread