Carb Question.. Trail Boss 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carb Question.. Trail Boss 6x6

Exclamation Carb Question.. Trail Boss 6x6

This has the Kohler 2 stroke OE engine. many of you have read i have a issue with the rpm screaming uncontrollably in about 3 seconda after starting it. Here is the question. I was told by jeff t boss
    Does this have a primer pump? if so, make sure engine isn't continuing to draw fuel through the lines after it starts. Easiest way to check id to pinch off both lines after the engine starts.. If it doesn't have a primer, disregard.
    ok, i checked, there are 2 lines the PO hooked up. this engine is different to me.

The first pic above is the rear of the carb (facing back of 6x6) , i assume this is the fuel pump..
    Q: is this the line the primer goes on?

Now this second pic is the side/front facing the front of 6x6 .
    Q: the fuel line going in, is that the primer line? im not sure which one. and yes both are wide open! or is that a vent line to the tank? im lost..
    Last edited by BustedPinion; 07-04-2008 at 04:39 PM.

carb

the carb looks like the hr or hd series tillotson.if so, the line going into the bottom,is the fuel supply.[the one hooked to the plastic]. the one at the top is a fuel return. I had a problem with one of them and it turned out to be the needle valve being out of adjustment.

There are no primer lines. That is in fact the TOLLOTSON carb, and there are two adjustment needles. One is the MAIN, and the other is the idle jet. The main jet has a small bar/roll pin going through it. The idle jet just looks like a normal screw. Both have springs on them. According to my records, if it is the HR or HD carb, the main jet should be somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 turn open/out. And the idle jet should be 1 turn open/out. One-at-a-time, run the screws all the way in and LIGHTLY seat them. Count how many turns each one goes from start to seat and note it. Then as a starting point back both screws out 1 full turn. Start the engine and see how it runs/idles. If it idles too high or low, turn the idle JET SCREW (not the screw that your throttle shaft is on. Remember; idle JET screw has a spring on it) in or out 1/4 turn at at time to raise/lower idle. Get it as low as you can without killing. If that is not low enough, THEN back out the idle screw that connects to your throttle shaft. The adjustment of the main jet is easy. Run the engine to higher rpms and hold. Turn the main jet screw in until you hear the motor start to "Work". Then back it out till you hear if start to miss and note how many turns. Then turn back in 1/2 way between. So, if you back out 1/2 turn to hear the miss, turn it back in 1/4 turn. Return to idle and see if you cured your problem. After the main jet is set, you may have to go back and adjust the idle jet. At this point it should only need a small turn in or out to adjust the idle.
    Last edited by Jeff t-boss; 07-05-2008 at 12:20 AM.

ok. so there should be NO primer bulb on either? or if there IS suppoered to be then what line, and in what direction?

jeff.. tried that, if they are even open enough for it to run, same thing, idle goes to wide open scream in about 2 seconds. and so far found no vacuum leaks anywhere.

Hi Busted Pinion. You can still get info on TILLOTSON Carburettors from their website, Carburettors, Throttle Bodies, Fuel Systems components by Tillotson . The line coming off the plastic fitting on the bottom of the carb that goes to your tank is the fuel line, the other line coming off the side of the carb is your pressure line. You say it's wide open? Does this mean it goes nowhere , because if so, that is your problem. It should go to a fitting on the engine. This is for the fuel pump which is built into the Tillotson Carb. If it is not hooked up, look for a fitting for a pressure line on the engine block, (I have a JLO and I don't know where it is on the kohler.) But without the line on it, that fitting is a MASSIVE air leak, and without the fuel pump working, your engine will be SCREAMING LEAN! If this line is in place, replace it unless you already did. Mine was changed about a year before I got the machine, but I could not get a good tune. I changed the line and now she's a breaze to tune! I hope this helps you out. If not, give me more info and I should be able to get you going, I do have a lot of 2-stroke experience, (Just not much in 6-wheelers, YET )
    Last edited by 6X6; 07-09-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spellen fanetikly sumtimes rong
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

got her runnin good but hes scared of it, so up for sale it goes

+ Reply to Thread