easy start?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: easy start?

easy start?

my magnum always starts easy but takes so long to warm up,even in summer months. any way to get rid of this even just to start up and let it idle without me working the throttle and choke.my quad starts and just idles without throttle good even in the cold,why cant the kohler be like this? ideas

Might be worth your while to check and adjust the valves. Could also be a matter of improper carb jetting for your climate.

Seen a similar issue with my Dad's quad.......had to adjust the valve clearance.

how do i do this witha kohler carb?

Valve clearance has nothing to do with your carb actually. There are 2 different valves in the cylinder head; inlet and exhaust. The inlet valve opens on the inlet stroke of the engine to let air/fuel mixture from the carburetor into the combustion chamber and the exhaust valve opens on the exhaust stroke to let the exhaust gas out of the combustion chamber after the power stroke. The valves are operated by pushrods which are forced upward by the camshaft at the appropriate time. The clearance that needs to be checked is that between the top of the valve stem and the rocker gear. Not sure what the spec is for your engine but it needs to be checked with a feeler gauge.

Be warned, while this is a simple task once you understand the operation of an engine, it can cause serious damage to the engine if the clearance is set incorrectly. For example; if the clearance is too small you can force the valve down into the engine too far and the piston can strike it on the way up.....really not good!

There should be several instruction sets out there of how to set valve clearances, just type it in youtube and you should be set.

i know that valves had nothing to do with the carb but thanks. and the m18 has tappets not push rods! but i think i will leave they valves as they are

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    i know that valves had nothing to do with the carb but thanks. and the m18 has tappets not push rods! but i think i will leave they valves as they are
    The Kohler Magnum valve clearances are set by grinding the valve stems, your motor does not have adjustable tappets unfortunately.

Read the book and adjust the carb as it says, kohlers usually take a few seconds to start when cold but adjusting the mixture screws and idle proper should help or fix it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread