Motor for hustler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motor for hustler?

Hey guys,

I uploaded some pics to my webshots account, I will try and take some of the new axles soon.

Hustler pictures from outdoors photos on webshots

Thanks for the tips on the motor...I've decided to bite the bullet and order the Honda, they have pretty good prices, and as much as it will be used, it will be one less worry.

As far as tires, I will see. At this point, with so little experience, I am kind of just guessing. Actually getting out and testing will be key....

Hydro...kinda like the Confederate flag huh? I guess I could tell people it meant that near German quality engineering went into building the Hustler?? Who knows who put that on there though, and even how many owners this thing had....
    Last edited by boncrshr; 08-08-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Nice work on that Hustler build! Shes going to be a beauty! I have a question for you about the exhaust, does it exit on the upper part of the body on the side?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks....the exhaust exited out the back through a screen grating. With the Honda, I am considering routing the exhaust out the back and put the muffler outside the body somewhere to lessen heat. Maybe??? Again, I am mentally benchracing and don't know if this would be of any value. The Honda does not come with a muffler.....if I could find the proper exhaust flanges, I was thinking of using a motorcycle muffler?

Hmmm Im not too sure. Check into backpressure of the motorcycle muffler, just so you dont loose any horsepower. That Honda engine should run forever. Did you check ebay for any Honda V twin mufflers just to get some ideas on how the setup might look? If you have an internal exhaust, there might be more heat inside the body, but if there are a lot of vents, scoops, etc to let the hot air out you would probably be OK. Maxes have a factory internal exhaust option and they seem to do alright with it. Test it all out and see what you like best. Thats a beautiful machine so far!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the compliment JP....

Honda does have 3 exhaust choices....I will need to get the motor into the machine first and see what my clearances look like, although, I think the Honda is smaller than the I/C motor.

Ok...here is the timeline. Dove season opens up Sep 1, and Teal opens on Sep. 15. The motor should arrive next week, next weekend my buddy is bringing his wire feed over and we will align the motor with the trans and make motor mounts. I don't have to actually have a finished product by then, just want to get reliably and safely rolling.

I have two questions that will come up quickly:
    1) My hustler does not have a brake. I was thinking of maybe trying to fabricate a bracket for a motorcycle style caliper and put the braking handle on the left stick and have actual brakes rather than just a parking brake. Thoughts?

2) What is the absolute best sealant to use on the axle flanges when re-assembling? Also, best grease? I'm normally a big synthetic fan for autos, but don't really know on the 6x6. BTW, I just received all new flanges from Richard Clark, so they should seal well with the proper sealant.

After I get the rolling stock together, I will have a few electric questions as I will have to wire the machine from scratch.

Use 3M strip calk (about $12 for a 60ft box) to seal the flanges against the body. Its the best seal possible and that is what they use at the Recreatives (Max) factory. I would recomend heading down to your local Autozone and pick up a tube of marine grease for about $3-4. With that set up you will be as water tight as you could possibly be.

As for your brake question, take a look at this thread.....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...ing-brake.html

I believe the brake caliper and pads are the same one Max uses today. You could call Recreatives Industries and see how much they might be. 1-800-255-2511. Ask them about a caliper for the parking brake on the Max II model.

By the way the 20 hp Kohler command fits very well in my Hustler. I have the muffler inside with some shields. I also opened the body/ back seat a bit, to get more air into the compartment. I have not problems with heat.

if your worried about heat from the exhaust wrap it in a couple of layers of header wrap.

I don't know if I should worry about the heat...you know how it is when you build something in your head, you tend to solve problems that aren't there? I prolly will just get a stock Honda muffler and see what happens. I was looking at them today, and if it is a problem it would be easy to route it outside the vehicle. And I had considered the header wrap.

As far as Kohlers go, I have heard nothing but good stuff...it just seems like the Honda is quite a bit cheaper for the same HP rating...about 300 bucks or so...

+ Reply to Thread