Motor for hustler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor for hustler?

Motor for hustler?

Hi all,

My name is Scott, just found this board. I am the proud owner of a Hustler I bought for 200.00. This has been a long term project, you know how those go. the machine has been completely torn down, frame painted, straightened and strengthened. I had new axles with new sprockets made that have keyways instead of the bolts, rollbar, new bearings, chain, and tires. Brandon Price rebuilt my T-20. The last thing was the motor, and I was going to start re-assembly. Once the motor was apart, according to my small motor guy, it is going to be prohibitively expensive to fix (18 HP Briggs I/C). Any of you guys have thoughts on where to get a good used motor, or have one yourselves? 18HP+? I promised myself I was going to have it ready by hunting season this year.

Thanks, Scott

And BTW, I will have a few re-assembly questions once I get started. Nice to find this board.

Hi Scott! Welcome to the boards. Good to have you hear and it sounds like you are almost to the point of enjoyment with your Hustler. Post up some pictures if you have them.

I'm no help on the motor but I just wanted to welcome you. Have fun!

Mike

What is wrong with the engine? Cost prohibitive? A new one is over $1000. May be worth getting the parts and fixing it yourself. If you have to pay someone $50 an hour, the cost is more than double what it would cost you. The repair manual is only $12.

Scott, Thanks for joining up with us and Im glad to have another Hustler owner here. Do you have some pictures of your Hustler? I have a Hustler that is probably similar to yours. Does the exhaust on your Hustler exit through a rectangular opening on the side of the upper body? Is yours the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT with the 26" tires by any chance? I know that Hustler used the Briggs I/C 18HP twin from 1982-1985. Take a look on ebay for those motors. I have seen a few of them sell for around $250-$300 in good running, ready to go condition. If you have any questions, I have the Briggs shop manual for those engines and I would be glad to help you out. It sounds like you have a very high quality restoration under way. I hope it all goes smooth. I am just about done with my Hustler 980 BIGFOOT restoration, but maybe we can help each other along so our machines can get put back together better than they when they were new.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. My small engine guy said the crank was bad, pistons were scored, and the starter was missing teeth. I prolly should have checked the motor sooner, and I could probably do the work myself, but now I am on a time schedule as hunting season is approaching. The motor was an unknown quantity as I had never had it started.

I did some checking today, and I am going to order a 20hp Honda from Tulsa Engine Warehouse.

I do have some pics of the teardown and frame and new axles. I will post them tomorrow. As far as it being a bigfooot, I have no idea. I basically saved a Hustler from junk...it had 22" tires on it when I bought it. I bought a new set of Kenda Bearclaws, but now I don't know if that was the right decision. I may eventually go with tracks as I do some hunting on the coast, and the marsh here can get pretty rough. We have had to walk 4-wheelers out before.

My main concern at this point is getting a motor in quickly, as I will have to fabricate the motor mounts while the frame is out and then start re-assembly. Hopefully, I can get everything together by mid-September before teal opener.

BTW, I have already found some great tips on this site. I may scuff off the paint and Swastika under the paint (No seriously there is one, I picked it up in Alabama) and try the heat gun trick.

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    I may scuff off the paint and Swastika under the paint (No seriously there is one, I picked it up in Alabama) and try the heat gun trick.
    Scott, that is one of the funniest (and saddest) things that I have read. As for the motor, good luck with it and I hope you get it done in time for hunting. Let us know how it goes.

Take a look on ebay for the Briggs rebuild kits too. Also, before you order that engine, if you plan on using the same clutch that is on the Briggs, take a look at the diameter of the shaft. Im guessing the Briggs has a 1" shaft. Make sure the Honda has a 1" shaft too so you dont have to buy another clutch. That 20HP Honda would be a nice motor in your Hustler. Good luck with the paint removal, and Im glad you saved an old 6x6 from being junk. You wouldnt believe some of the things that people put on these machines over the years, but this is the first time I've heard of a Swasticka (spelling?) on one. I'll have to add that to a list of odd additions to 6 wheelers along with 8 track players, roll bars made out of shopping carts, etc etc.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Oh and by the way, try those tires out and if you dont end up liking them I would recomend Goodyear Rawhide III 22x11x8 tires. They are the factory tire on the Max AATV's and they give you a really smooth ride and some of the best traction in deep mud that you can get.

BRIIGS AND STRATTON 18 HP TWIN MOTOR ENGINE - (item 180147043541 end time Aug-14-07 15:32:09 PDT)

Here is a parts engine my friend is selling. He thinks it just needs cleaned up to get it running again. He will ship it for extra money even though the auction says pick up only.

Lance

Completely unrelated to six wheelers...

Completely unrelated to the Hustler rebuild, but I had several small swastikas scratched into the Superchief body when I bought it. Obviously the first association with the symbol is profoundly negative, but historically, the swastika is a symbol representing motifs from "good luck" to "balance",etc. (all of which are good things in a low-flying Superchief) has been used extensively in Hindu and Buddhist culture and has been around since before the origins of Greek culture Wikipedia Article , but I opted to square them all off to eliminate any misinterpretation. I'm sure the people who scratched them in didn't have such morally admirable intentions, but who knows?

There's also a tiny-tiny etching on the top front that says "Eat Chips". It's tough to even find it, so I opted not to take it off. Besides, I like chips.

~m

+ Reply to Thread