Motor for hustler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Motor for hustler?

Thanks for the link, I will save it for future reference. What about rims though? I have 8" rims on there right? So I would have to get the 9" rims to put the 25's on there?

But I will wait and see how these do. Should I worry about the very low ground clearance?

I would imagine that someone has to have some spare 9" rims floating around from their Argo. Maybe you could post up a wanted ad in the forum. Honestly the low ground clearance shouldnt be a major issue. I have driven my Max II's w/ the same ground clearance as your Hustler in some serious mud and it never really stopped them. Just keep in mind when you are driving where your center is (which is our Kryptonite with 6 wheelers). As long as you try to keep your center off of any high spots and keep your wheels on the ground where there is traction you should be fine.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey JP,

Glad you approve of the re-build so far. I was worried about everything looking good since I have seen some really good craftsmanship on the member's of this boards machines.

And I can't thank everyone enough for the tips that came in handy, like the strip caulk, and aligning the grease hole properly on the locking collar bearing, and the T-20 straps, etc....

As far as me getting a Hustler, Richard Clark advised me that if I was planning on rebuilding an old basket case then a Hustler would be the one to get. I know a few people here with Hustlers, but I actually drove to Alabama to get mine.....I thought a found a deal, but I forgot to factor in gas, I could have bought a nicer machine and stayed in Texas....Dohh! As far as the Hustlers being good machines, they kinda remind me of a Max, as far as size and drive train. The only weak spot I found was the axles with the bolt holes going through them, which I eliminated with the keyway sprockets. I think I would have been happy with a Max or Attex also. The ability to fit larger tires would be nice.

Something kinda funny happened on Friday. I had lost one of the inner bearings and went to a bearing supply house to pick one up ( I am lucky in that respect as I live among all of the petroleum refineries, there are several in a few mile radius), and I asked the guy if he had this bearing. In a real dry and matter of fact manner he said "No we don't carry anything that cheap or poorly made." I busted out laughing since that is something I might say. He did have some pretty bullet proof looking bearings, so I just went ahead and bought six. So now I just have to figure out chain adjusters, re-wire the whole machine and I should be driving. I will let you know how the Honda does, I'm not really brand loyal in any way. I just got a good price on it and I knew it would fit.

Oh yeah, I bought some grease for the axles called "Green grease" it is supposed to be completely waterproof, and is a synthetic polymer. Picked up a few tubes of marine grease also in case I don't like this.

the 25 rawhides fit but you have to check if ther is any sag in the body that will create interference. I corrected some minor sag by installing some internal frame work to pick up the roll cage.

Ok...good info. Those tires look really good on there. I'm jealous.

+ Reply to Thread