Track Ice Cleats

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Track Ice Cleats

Track Ice Cleats

I plan on using my tracks all year round. If I install ice cleats on them, how will that affect dry weather use? Thanks.

Too much traction reduces maneuverability and it will be hard on your driveline causing premature wear especially on grass/turf .

Also depends on how aggressive you go with your cleats, a pick or spike would be much more aggressive than angle iron or flat bar.

crossbow, maybe your best bet would be come up with a fairly easy way to install and remove the cleats. depending on what style the tracks are there may be some folks on the site with some good ideas how to do that. what kind are they ? johnboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    crossbow, maybe your best bet would be come up with a fairly easy way to install and remove the cleats. depending on what style the tracks are there may be some folks on the site with some good ideas how to do that. what kind are they ? johnboy
    I've been thinking about that idea. I bought the Argo cleats that are attached by separate bolts for each cleat. If the bolt isn't damaged I think a couple hours of work in the spring would take the cleat off and then repeat the process in the winter.

the most reliable type of traction is one that bites forward/backward, but does not bite or prevent the machine from skid-turning. You have to skid turn to navigate no matter what, and I've learned to avoid traction enhancers that provide resistance to the track sliding laterally. They go in a straight line very well, but there are a lot of other conditions you will be running in.

I just finished putting the argo cleats on my rubber track.did not use the crappy allen head bolts that argo supplies but went to the hardware supply and bought 50 hex head bolts.will make removal real easy.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I've been thinking about that idea. I bought the Argo cleats that are attached by separate bolts for each cleat. If the bolt isn't damaged I think a couple hours of work in the spring would take the cleat off and then repeat the process in the winter.

Have you noticed any real difference on the trail yet?

I actually did just put them on when I posted,i **** you not.lol the main reason I bought them was to stop spinning out on 2 steep hills I have to climb to get out ice fishing.today while plowing snow again,i did notice that I was not spinning on the glare ice under the snow.the cleats seem to hook up real good.just have to take it easy so I don't twist an axle off.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Have you noticed any real difference on the trail yet?

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    I just finished putting the argo cleats on my rubber track.did not use the crappy allen head bolts that argo supplies but went to the hardware supply and bought 50 hex head bolts.will make removal real easy.
    Did you use any loctite? I'm about to install and was worried that with vibrations I might lose a cleat. I was also thinking of getting my own bolts and use locking washer rather than loctite.
    Last edited by puzle; 02-16-2017 at 09:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread