Max II chain issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max II chain issues

Exclamation Max II chain issues

My front and rear chains are super tight on the top, one of them ripped the nylon off the chain tensioner. The bottom of the chains are slack. How do I equalize the tension? Also the sprocket on the center axle under the jack shaft is out of place, it's too close to the body and caused the chain to jam against the side rails. I think there is a clamp on the axle that can be moved if I loosen a set screw? I seem to remember this from when I was replacing bearings and a snapped axle.

What you are experiencing is the normal operation of any chain and sprocket system. If you think about the power flow between any two sprockets, one sprocket turns and pulls on the chain. That chain then pulls on the next sprocket. Because of this, a chain will be tight on one side and slack on the other. There is nothing wrong with that . The tensioners are designed to apply tension to the side that is slack during normal, forward operation.

As for your tensioner issue, it was caused by your center sprocket being misaligned. Either your axle slid out some or your sprocket slid on the axle.

This is abnormal tension, it is really really tight, zero deflection. I need to relieve the pressure. I found the lock collar to move the triple sprocket on the center drive shaft and moved it out of the way but the sprocket is not moving, due to chain tension I'm guessing. I loosened the jack shaft adjustment locking nuts. Is there any way to loosen the chain or should I unbolt the bearing holders off the frame?

Sounds like something is bound up if the chain is that tight. Bad bearings maybe. Do you have the tires off the ground when checking the tension?

make sure when adjusting the tensioners the wheels are off the ground and the trans in nuetral. rotate tires toward each other so the slack in the chain is on the tensioner side. hope this helps..... j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedon View Post
    This is abnormal tension, it is really really tight, zero deflection. I need to relieve the pressure. I found the lock collar to move the triple sprocket on the center drive shaft and moved it out of the way but the sprocket is not moving, due to chain tension I'm guessing. I loosened the jack shaft adjustment locking nuts. Is there any way to loosen the chain or should I unbolt the bearing holders off the frame?
    Just pull the master link in the chain and take the chain off. Even if you have to ruin the master link to get it out, it would be easier than pulling everything else out.

Jack it up first.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Are you running tracks?

Yes I'm running tracks.
    Oh fun master links. Ack! Takes me hours to get those buggers on and off! Oh well probably the best way as you say.
    Yes I have it off the ground.
    The binding is from the sprocket on the center drive shaft below the jackshaft shifting toward the frame and now the chain is rubbing on the frame and it seems to have caused other chains to slip on the other sprockets, I could hear them pop.

+ Reply to Thread