Hustler speed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler speed

Hustler speed

Hello everyone I bought a Hustler 980 bigfoot not too long ago and it needed a little carb work but it didnt take me long to get her up and running. I havn't had any problems since other than tightnening the chains a few times, but I started watching a few videos on youtube of people racing 6 wheelers and saw how fast they can go. What other types of motors are available that will fit in my Hustler to make it go faster?

Well the Hustler BIGFOOT weighs over 900lbs and it really isnt a machine meant for speed. If you really did want more speed out of it you could take the middle sprockets out of a standard Hustler and just put them on and your speed would go up a good bit since there are fewer teeth on them. You would loose a good bit of torque and acceleration though.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Well what about putting a kohler 440 engine in it or maybe some sort of rotax?

Earlier Hustlers did come with 440 Kohlers, and that would be an option. Sometimes in the warm weather those two stroke motors can act up and not be as reliable as a 4 stroke, for example fouling spark plugs. Another thing you would want to consider is ride quality. The Hustler BIGFOOT has 26" tires that offer very little "suspension" and it would be a very hard ride. You could always put on 24" Argo tires to soften the ride like some members here have done. Post up some pics if you could of your machine, we would love to see it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff makes excellent points, but I need to counter the 2-stroke argument...

A well tuned, maintained and understood 2-stroke engine is equally as reliable as their 4-stroke counterparts. There is good reason why 2-stroke engines are put in ultralight aircraft, hovercraft, etc. It takes a lot of effort to make a 4-stroke that has the power to weight ratio (or the RPM) of a 2-stroke. Modern two-stroke engines with CDI ignition and the use of synthetic or petroleum-synthetic oil blends greatly reduce spark plug fouling, overheated conditions, etc. I have a 484cc two-stroke engine (45-48hp, depending on the source) in my RIM (Max IV) which I love. However, one of the biggest issues with the two stroke engine is when the engine makes its torque and horsepower. Two strokes aren't notorious for their torqueiness (sp?). Torque and HP are minimal in the low RPM range, whereas a big 4-stroke makes gobs and gobs of torque and HP in the low end. The way the RIM (and likely the 440 Kohler powered Hustlers and other "large" two stroke machines) make up for this is with gearing via sprockets. The RIM is geared to haul its heavy carcass around with ease, but with the benefit of nearly 6500 RPM on hand, that low gearing becomes quite a respectable top speed (35mph? I dunno yet... too scared) when you can use all of that RPM. With that gear (sprocket) reduction, I can putt-around very slowly in the RIM and go up/ over just about anything I point it at without risk of fouling, overheating, etc. The thing with two strokes is that they build RPM QUICKLY. If your goal is to simply speed up your Hustler a bit, you can make a sprocket change which would likely accomplish your goal and retain its low-speed capabilities. If you want to go "way faster" in your Hustler get more RPM and more ponies at that specific RPM.

Jeff's point that some machines weren't intended to go that fast is spot-on. It doesn't mean that you can't change that, but just remember that with each substantial change you make, expect to make just as many changes in your expectations of the machine. I have a decent 4-stroke in the fleet, and the two stroke just won't do what it does well at 2000 RPM My 45 horsepower RIM might be able to tow another machine out of the mud without problems, but a 980 BIGFOOT with and 18 HP Briggs could probably tow a GMC Truck up a hill sideways with the parking brake on....

~m

Thanks alot for the advise guys..im trying to post up some pics but i cant get it to work..anyone want to explain how its done?

When you post up a message you will see the box with the different font, smiley faces, etc. and on the top menu in the center you will see a little paper clip icon. Click that and it will show you how to upload pics from there.

+ Reply to Thread