In need of a good machinist

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In need of a good machinist

In need of a good machinist

Hello gang, I know it's been a while since I've posted anything. What can I say,, "LIFE" calls! I've been preparing for the transition into "Retirement", and enjoying fathering my youngest daughter (17 months old). I have from time to time, occasionally logged in, to catch up on things on the site, and to get a laugh or two here or there.

Well with all hope, I aim to attend this Spring Busco Ride. And like always I will be bringing "Luther" with me, if I can get it ready by then. My only issue is that I haven't done anything to the Hustler that I said that I was going to do prior to my next group ride (I know its been 2 years, but hey, I have been busy!). Well I have done the small things like changing the oil and filters, air the tires, put a new winch contractor on, etc. Problem is,, I failed to focus on my T-20 chain adjusters.

So, the 4 year old Max IV, T-20 chain adjusters that I made, were not machined (precision cuts), they were backyard engineered!! They were good enough to for about 180 hours of mud slinging fun, just not engineered to withstand the type of riding that I do. Long story, short,,,,, is there anyone on the site that can cut slots into 1/4in metal? I am more than willing to pay for the shipping to and fro of the metal that I will provide, and also labor. This project consist of (4) .25in x 2 in x 5 in, pieces of metal with (1) 3.75in long .5 in slot centered on each piece of metal. So in a nutshell, they would greatly resemble Max IV Chain adjusters.

ANY TAKERS PLEASE INBOX ME.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

hey fred, nice to hear from you !!! sure hope you can make it to busco in april...it's been too long. it's always a great time with all the friends. i'm sure the fellow machinist in arizona i believe can do your job. can't remember his name right off, but you will get a reply on here. ( he builds springers ). anyway i hope to see you soon and blessings to the family. johnboy va.

That would be Whipper. An alternative might be to use "Snap Idle" brand of chain adjusters. They are pretty durable in and of themselves, but you can use those as a template and just get some 1"wide metal of any kind, as long as it is slotted, and utilize that for the side bracing, and use the Snap Idle sliders themselves.

I went the other way and fabricated my own style of adjusters like you are talking about, in addition to the one's I modified, and to be frank, I like the modified (Snap Idle) ones better. Snap Idle makes several types:

http://www.snapidle.com/cache/img/5/...58537916ef.jpg

http://www.snapidle.com/cache/img/6/...c79eed2bde.jpg

I also made a self-adjusting chain adjuster for my Max4, and I think that because it sat so low in the tub and got so grungy with oil and dirt, that it never worked very well and I ended up scrapping them. As you know, space is a problem in that limited area, and one time the adjuster came loose and destroyed a sprocket too, so into the trash the auto-adjusters went.
    Maybe Whipper can come up with a concept that is somewhere in the middle and can fit in the space confines.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 03-02-2017 at 01:45 PM.

metal is in the band saw. i will cut the slots this afternoon. pm me your address and I will send them your way
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    metal is in the band saw. i will cut the slots this afternoon. pm me your address and I will send them your way
    Best beef it up to 3/8" plate Race'. We've both seen Fred drive.

I was gonna TIG a couple 1/4 keys on the backside to keep the bolt from turning, and act as a gusset
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I was gonna TIG a couple 1/4 keys on the backside to keep the bolt from turning, and act as a gusset
    Thanks a lot Racerone3, I'm inboxing you now!!! Man I love you guys!!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Best beef it up to 3/8" plate Race'. We've both seen Fred drive.

I think I was following you in the picture, matter of fact, I know for sure that I was following you in this pic.!!! It feels good to be back!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    Thanks a lot Racerone3, I'm inboxing you now!!! Man I love you guys!!!
    no worries Fred. send me your phone # so I can text you a couple pics before I mail them out

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hey fred, nice to hear from you !!! sure hope you can make it to busco in april...it's been too long. it's always a great time with all the friends. i'm sure the fellow machinist in arizona i believe can do your job. can't remember his name right off, but you will get a reply on here. ( he builds springers ). anyway i hope to see you soon and blessings to the family. johnboy va.
    Thanks Johnboy, from the looks of it, Brian is willing to lend a helping hand for the cause. I do hope to be there also, and I'm 95% in and very excited about riding with friends. The family is doing great, and Karen says hello!!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

+ Reply to Thread