1972 Argo 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1972 Argo 8x8

1972 Argo 8x8 drive chains

Does anyone know the chain size for the drive chains? I pretty much need new chains all around and I'd like to buy in bulk if I can.

I'm told Fastenal has lots of chain but I gotta figure out what to buy.
    Last edited by Tremmorkeep; 03-13-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: better title

all chains ar single strand 60 weight and the idlerlers have 40-2 or 50-2 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremmorkeep View Post
    Does anyone know the chain size for the drive chains? I pretty much need new chains all around and I'd like to buy in bulk if I can.

I'm told Fastenal has lots of chain but I gotta figure out what to buy.
    Your machine should have single 50 drive chains to axles and either single or double 40 chain off trans to jackshaft.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have a 79 T-Base Argo 6x6. I used single RC50 for the drive chains for the axle and double 40 (40-2) chain for the trans. I used diamond brand chain for the trans (ebay) and some heavy duty chain from a tractor supply store for the drive chain. (I think it was tsubaki brand)
    Last edited by gotrippedoff; 03-14-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Sweet, thank you all very much for the information. I have a Fastenal close by (2, actually) and tractor stores...are like IFA and Cal-Ranch...I'll see what they carry. The chains in mine are so rusted that they dont even bend....even a little...

time to get the grinder out

Yep, gotta chop them out...I cant even test the bearings and seals because the whole dang thing is locked up...heck.there's one wheel that won't even come off....LOL. Its going to be a project for sure.

Chains and Trans oil

Did you end up confirming the chain sizes on your 1972 argo? I have a 1972 6x6 that I am currently trying to bring back to life. I would like to replace my chains as well. I have a kohler K3992ST any chance you have the same engine? Also I wanted to replace the trans oil I see in a manual i found online it says to use SAE 90/140 but the closest I have found so far is SAE 85/140 anyone have any input on that?

+ Reply to Thread