No brake on left side,can't steer, proud plunger?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No brake on left side,can't steer, proud plunger?

Unhappy No brake on left side,can't steer, proud plunger?

Hello all, thanks very much for your help.
    97 Max IV
    After sitting all winter in a heated garage, I can't steer left?
    I have power forward, no problem steering right.

I jacked it up in the air and when pulling the left lever back I get no braking at all.
    (worked great when I pulled it in the garage in the fall) Watched the adjustment video,went to do some adjusting, and I see the upper plunger seems to pull out past "flush", when I move the lever? Comes out about 3/8-1/2"....

Is that a indication of a broken brake band?
    I'm open to listening to any advise.

I really don't want to pull the motor and such without really knowing that's what I need to do??
    Any help would be great, all the shift linkages seem to look good, never had a issue, had her for years
    Thank you.

Sounds like your band Broke ?

Is that the symptom of a broken band?
    Is the proud plunger a tell??
    Thanks!!!!

Some plungers will stick out past the case. While it does sound like it may be a broken band, first pull the diamond shifter on top of the T20 on that side and inspect the shift pin. It may not be shifting the transmission into gear if it broke or is worn badly.

If the sticks have similar movement it's probably not a broken band. If left side has excess movement and dosent feel like it has a stop the band broke. If both sticks are similar in movement , drive it again and watch the tires on that side while steering. A broken axle bolt will cause symptoms similar to no steering as the one tire rolls. That said left hand bands break about 90% more than right hand. No clue why just the things I find when rebuilding T20s.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    That said left hand bands break about 90% more than right hand. No clue why just the things I find when rebuilding T20s.
    Years of in-depth research suggests this is because the left hand is typically tasked with double-duty for steering and beer-holding. Taking frequent sips causes the left-foot steering phenomenon to arise, with emergency adjustments typically culminating in abrupt, jarring movements of the lateral. Hence, broken left bands.

I've suspected that and the fact that the right hand has a couple fingers over a throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Years of in-depth research suggests this is because the left hand is typically tasked with double-duty for steering and beer-holding. Taking frequent sips causes the left-foot steering phenomenon to arise, with emergency adjustments typically culminating in abrupt, jarring movements of the lateral. Hence, broken left bands.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I've suspected that and the fact that the right hand has a couple fingers over a throttle.
    Pretty much a perfect summary of my driving style!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah... so a 1/4" groove was worn into the drum...
    not good, guess I need a new one if those...��

That sucks. Try posting a wanted ad in the classified section and someone may have the drum you need. I think I would send the bands off to get relined while I had it apart too.

+ Reply to Thread