6x6 World Under New Ownership

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 6x6 World Under New Ownership

6x6 World Under New Ownership

I am happy to announce that 6x6 World is under new ownership. Please join me in welcoming Outdoor Sports Inc. as the new owners of the forum. I am excited for the future of this site under their ownership and I feel that this will bring a positive change for our community.

Why?
    The past 10 years have been a lot of fun for me and I have enjoyed developing the site and helping to mold it into what it is today. However, as life constantly changes, my priorities have shifted focus and unfortunately the site has fallen to the bottom of my list and been neglected for quite a while. This has affected the site in two ways that bother me:

1. One of my goals when we started was to stay at the forefront of technology. I feel like we did that for a while. We live tweeted some events 10 years ago when Twitter was in its infancy, we live streamed trail rides years ago when live streaming was tough, we hosted chats here on the forum on a weekly basis, I updated forum software as soon as it was available, etc. Gradually as my free time became less abundant, these features faded away and things became stale.

2. I have always tried to take care in moderating the site. I've made plenty of careless mistakes in the past but I have found myself being more and more rushed to moderate the site. Unfortunately that has led to me making even more mistakes and being short with people. A couple of months ago I got a PM from an (understandably) irate member asking why I merged his sale thread with another members thread. I had no idea I had even done it because I selected the wrong two threads to merge and didn't check my work when I was done because I was in a hurry. Another example: I get a handful of emails each week from people that have forgotten their passwords. Normally I would take the time to explain the process and let them know that they control their own passwords and then give them a link to the password reset form. I have found myself resorting to just replying with a link to the password reset form without any explanation to save time. These may seem like little things but they go a long way in setting the tone of the forum and keeping members happy and feeling welcome.

Who?
    I have struggled with what to do with the site for the past few years. I’ve had people offer to purchase the site in the past but most did not have an interest in our hobby and were simply looking for websites with some advertising revenue. A year or so ago, I began communicating with a media company that was interested in the forum. We have talked quite a bit back and forth and I finally decided that they were the right fit for taking over and improving on what we have started here.

One thing that was important to me was to find someone that could understand the hobby, our site dynamics and what sets it apart. I didn’t want to lose the community feeling that we have here. I want someone that understands us and can only make this place better. Outdoor Sports Inc. has come to understand our inner workings and I feel like they value that as much as I do.

When?
    So, when are these changes going to occur? The Outdoor Sports Inc. team has been moderating the forum for the past several weeks and things have been going smoothly. They will continue to do so and I will gradually take more of a passive role in the site.

What Changes?
    So, what changes are going to take place with the new owners?

Software – Outdoor Sports Inc. plans to update the forum software and get us back on the leading edge of technology. They also want to look at gallery options that may allow for an easier way to upload, post and share photos. These changes will not occur immediately but are a long term goal.

Moderation – Outdoor Sports Inc. will be the sole moderators of the forum under the username Moderator. They intend to keep the same site rules but they are going to take a different approach than I did when it comes to moderation. Instead of being actively engaged and participating on the forum, their only purpose for visiting the site is going to be to moderate. This means they will be moving threads to the proper forums, deleting sold ads, answering site related questions, posting sponsor information, etc but they will not be participating in discussions about ATVs. I really liked this approach because I feel that it keeps them as more of a neutral 3rd party should any issues arise. They really want to just let the site continue to be what it is today and simply be there for technical support as needed.

Everything Else – Everything else is going to stay the same. Outdoor Sports Inc. likes what we have here and wants to keep what’s good about the forum in place.

Me?
    What about me personally? Well, I'm not going anywhere. I'm still hanging around just like I have always been (to ArgoJim's dismay ) I still want to attend rides and I still want to communicate with everyone just like I have been. This change just keeps me from having to worry about moderating or editing the forum. This way, when I have time to spend here, I can enjoy it freely and that is something I look forward to.

I do want to thank all of you for your support over the years. I hope you will join me in supporting Outdoor Sports Inc. and their vision for the site because I really do think they will bring a positive change for this community.

Thanks again,

Mike

what other forums do they own?
    Acta non verba

Best wishes to you, Mike, in your future endeavors. Sorry to see you go. I do hope and pray that the site and forum do not change much. I have found the site an invaluable tool that is both easy to use and navigate. I hope the new owners understand that "newer" is not always better. Some web masters spend so much time on "cutting technology" that they lose sight of the fact that users are dropping like flies.

Congratulations Mike, surely we will miss your guidance. Now that you have done the .com thing, good luck with your other ventures.

Quick question, who will schedule Busco? I believe it is your planning which brings so many users together.

Good luck

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Mike-you've done a hell of a job here! A lot of work for one guy to take on for sure. No telling how many 6x's have been dug out from heaven only knows where due to this site. I side with your assessment that life's priorities change and most of it is due to objects beyond mortal humans control. I myself am thinking of getting rid of some stuff and simplifying my everyday world to a degree. I no longer have the desire to work all day and tinker with "toys" till 12 o'clock at night. It happens to all of us-sooner or later. So, chill out some and stay in touch with all of us here.

Mike I've only been with you a couple of years. But after being in business for 24 years I would like to say I greatly appreciate the work and the things you have done for me and many others. I hope all your future endeavors go well and God bless you and your family.

Mike
    I have and continue to enjoy this web site and it's members and will look forward to what the site will be . I hope to meet you and others here for a ride someday ,hopefully Goldsboro ..... In the mean time Thank You and best to you and yours always Happy Trails ..

bg

I'm happy to hear our Leader is following a new path in life but i have yet to see any good come from a corporate owned forum. It all starts out fine but there agenda, whatever that may be? come's to light and the warm fuzzy feeling of Family fades away.

Time will tell i guess..

Just My two cents

yea mike, i don't know much about running a website, i just punch in and enjoy it all. never thought about all the time and energy it takes to run this. i understand your decision and i feel that all the members with our input and any suggestions to the new owners will still keep it as ''our family site''. and you will have more time to contribute to threads and come to the rides and make ..awesome videos..!! johnboy va.

Mike,

I wanted to share my reflections that I feel you have truly been successful in your goal of reaching out and helping others enjoy this sport, increasing knowledge of these machines, and obviously sharing about something you love. Without this forum, I would have limited options for learning all I have about AATV's, and finding others with knowledge to share. Your passion for this sport is obvious; so is your desire to help others. I don't know you personally, but I do know you should be proud of your works: your baby has grown and your ready to let her spread her wings on her own. Bravo for a guy who knows how to correctly interview those who wish to hold his girl's hands after you let go.

+ Reply to Thread