Best replacement tire / Size

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best replacement tire / Size

Best replacement tire / Size

Hello Argo gurus out there. Im wanting to replace the tires on my 1980s 8x8 Argo but I'm having trouble finding the same size tires. It has the 20-11-8 tires on it now so do I have to stick to that size or could I go up to a 21 or 22" tire??? If so whats the best tire to use for replacement and where have you found the cheapest deals ????? Thanks for any help

Been trying to sort all that out myself.
    I have a new to me 1983 Argo 8x8 which originally had 20X10x8 tires. (I THINK)
    Somewhere along the way before me 22x10x8 tires where installed.
    My Argo came complete with the plastic tracks. Very little clearance with the tracks but lots of room without.

The 21's will fit for sure as they are actually smaller than the 20's, the 22 should fit depending on the tire, a 22 Runamuck should be close to the grown 20 when new.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The 21's will fit for sure as they are actually smaller than the 20's, the 22 should fit depending on the tire, a 22 Runamuck should be close to the grown 20 when new.
    Do you know why there is such a discrepancy in actual tire size to what they are categorized as?
    I would have thought a 22" would be larger in diameter than a 20"

I'm having the same issue with my Amphicat. It came with 20x12x10 tires which I thought I was stuck with but upon measuring some 21 and 22 inch tires they are either the same height or just a bit taller but certainly not exactly 21" or 22". Very weird indeed.

The reason that ATV vary in size is that they do not fall under the requirements for sizing required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Tires for atvs will have an identification marker that indicates "not for highway usage" which puts them in a different category for standards.

The tire manufacturers themselves are responsible for sizing atv tires. Even then there are a lot of differences in sizing between the same brand and model of tire, and there are differences even between production batches.

You may see the term "tire indexing" on this forum. Usually it relates to people that are placing tracks on their aatvs. The goal to index tires is to get roughly the same size diameter tire on the machine for track fitment. You would think that this would be easy to do, but tire size may vary by several inches amongst the same brand and tire size and at the same pressure.

Thanks for all the info guys. Looking at the Carlisle at101 tires for now but if anyone has better recommendations I'm open to options

+ Reply to Thread