Ground PSI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ground PSI

Ground PSI

Hi Guys
    I am trying to see if my idea will work for tracks. I have a MAX II with 22x11x8 tires.
    I need to know the ground PSI for a stock set up with max weight of 1310 lbs

Now if I use my tires and make individual 15 inch wide tracks what will my ground pressure be?

would the ground pressure be lower enough to use in the snow, this can eliminate
    any chain wind up issue.

based on what I figure my ground pressure will be between 1.23 to 1.61 using individual 15 inch wide tracks..... I am assuming my ground contact will be 9x15x6.

any thoughts?

garrett..are the tracks going to be the solid rubber style or individual cleats like the adair max 2 tracks ?? j.b. va.

Not sure what you mean by individual tracks...do you mean 1 for each side or one for each tire? (one for each tire doesn't make sense)

the original tracks i made for my max 2 were for the 22x11x8 tires. the tracks were not much wider than the tires and did well in mud and snow. hope this helps for your idea. j.b.va.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Not sure what you mean by individual tracks...do you mean 1 for each side or one for each tire? (one for each tire doesn't make sense)
    Yes 1 for each tire, I think it can make sense, zero chain wind up issue.. I have heard people say that chain wind up is an issue, have to measure and be careful on tire size and psi. some people recommend removing the front chains. easy to repair if there is damage....plus with normal tracks you will only have 4 wheels turning the track as the middle tire is mostly supporting the track not giving it traction. 6 individual will have all 6 wheels producing torque and traction.

If I use a 15 inch wide snowmobile track, and make a "track" for each tire I can eliminate all the issues stated above. I dont think it would be all that much more work.. Just an idea I am kicking around.

if you go to 4orce mobility web site it will show what I am thinking...... I got the idea from them..
    Last edited by garretttpe; 10-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garretttpe View Post
    Yes 1 for each tire, I think it can make sense, zero chain wind up issue.. I have heard people say that chain wind up is an issue, have to measure and be careful on tire size and psi. some people recommend removing the front chains. easy to repair if there is damage....plus with normal tracks you will only have 4 wheels turning the track as the middle tire is mostly supporting the track not giving it traction. 6 individual will have all 6 wheels producing torque and traction.

If I use a 15 inch wide snowmobile track, and make a "track" for each tire I can eliminate all the issues stated above. I dont think it would be all that much more work.. Just an idea I am kicking around.

if you go to 4orce mobility web site it will show what I am thinking...... I got the idea from them..
    Now that is outside the box thinking! I’ll check that website...thx

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Now that is outside the box thinking! I’ll check that website...thx
    I’d say that looks doable based on the 4orce mobility stuff...only issues I can think of would be interference between the 6x6’s tires. (Clearance from one track to the one in front and behind)
    Keep us posted on what you come up with...I’d be interested. Hell, I was thinking about chains or Terra Grips on each tire of my Argo.

As long as you realize that you are giving up two of the best advantages of tracks, mainly the ability to roll over small obstacles such as trees and rocks that would normally get stuck in between the wheels, and the extra flotation of the added surface area between the wheels of the regular track surface.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    As long as you realize that you are giving up two of the best advantages of tracks, mainly the ability to roll over small obstacles such as trees and rocks that would normally get stuck in between the wheels, and the extra flotation of the added surface area between the wheels of the regular track surface.
    Absolutely! Flotation is the main ingredient for staying on top of snow. You’re never going to have this with individual tracks but it might be better than no tracks at all.

I think you may still have chain wind-up issues although with less tracks around the tires the wind-up would also be diminished. In terms of floatation, I think the numbers would be the same, What you would increase is tractive force, but until you actually make the tracks, that would be hard to calculate.

+ Reply to Thread