engine wont fire

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine wont fire

engine wont fire

I have a 94 argo with a 16HP B&S engine, I had to tear it down because of a blown head gasket. After putting it back together now it won't fire with out a little starting fluid, it does not run on its own[ It is getting spark at the plugs and gas to the carb, float bowl is filling up. Any ideas that I could check??????

FONT="Tahoma"][/FONT]

what color spark you getting?

I did not notice the color but it seemed strong, the Argo ran and started before I tore it down.

check compression and check the color of spark

I would also check the fuel cut off solenoid (if you have one).

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I would also check the fuel cut off solenoid (if you have one).
    Noel I was thinking similar except of simply draining and cleaning the carb with compressed air at all ports, if it has a full bowl and spark ( unless the plugs are bad). My guess is that the bowl filled with water from the fuel sitting and separating. Try pumping some fuel with the carb supply line into a bottle.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have had luck pulling a spark plug and dipping the tip in gas, and then quickly screwing it back onto the cylinder head and trying to turn it over. If it briefly starts or almost starts then it is a fuel delivery problem or bad fuel that is being delivered. Not sure how long it sat before you replaced the headgasket... If not long then the fuel being bad probably isn't the issue. You can also troubleshoot by taking a spray bottle of gas and spraying gas directly into the throat of the carb which would then get sucked into the cylinder. If it doesn't start then it's most likely a compression or spark problem.

Can anybody tell me how many psi I should have in a B&S 16hp when doing a compression check? I just checked my engine and have about 90 pounds. I am still trying to find my starting problem so I am checking everything. The motor started right up and ran not good of course but was able to drive it to where I worked on it.

90 would be on the low side of acceptable.
    Did you reset valve clearances when you put it back together? Put some oil down the spark plug holes and retest. if compression is better, then rings are the issue. If compression doesn't improve with oil then valves or head gaskets are usually to blame
    Last edited by racerone3; 11-02-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

With the decompression it is hard to get accurate readings( I think I got 100 or so), try the valves. Clean the carb.
    replace the plugs.
    did the engine start on its own?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread