New Member A Few Questions (Need Some Advice Please)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Member A Few Questions (Need Some Advice Please)

New Member A Few Questions (Need Some Advice Please)

First of all let me introduce myself, my Name is Richard and I live in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada, it's on the Northwest side of Lake Superior. I have always been interested in Argo's but never owned one. I have owned quads and recently sold my Ranger side by side in order to finally purchase an Argo. Now here is where any advice would be helpful, I may be asking a lot here. I will be usually carrying two passengers with me so I'm leaning more towards an 8x8 Argo, does that seem logical? Now I plan on using the machine all year round for anything from fishing both on the water and ice, to hunting, for work and play. I would really like tracks for the winter but most of what I am finding for sale with the machines are the plastic Argo tracks, I seem to get mixed reviews on these tracks? I will be using these obviously for snow and ice conditions(possibly plowing too), but also come hunting season I will be in some muddy, swampy, muskeg conditions, so how do the plastic tracks work in these conditions? I would probably put the ice cleats on for winter conditions. I know the tracks won't propel the machine through any water. I am just waiting for a good used machine to come up and I will be buying it. I am probably looking at anything from late 90's to early 2000's. Also another thing I am wondering is, does an 8x8 have much better floatation and traction over a 6x6 just because of the extra wheels or track length? I know I may be asking a lot here, but I just don't want to experience buyers remorse and I figure this is the place to get help and advice. Thanks for any help.

try for something 2005 and up,thats when the avenger came out with bigger tires,new steering system,and liquid cooled kohler engine. you an get a used 8x8 hdi with the admiral transmission(excellent transmission) from anywhere between $10 000-20 000. and thats anywhere from 2010 to 2015 model years. i would just get the 8x8 just because it has 8 wheels vs 6 so more traction and more cargo space if you need it. tracks come in either rubber or plastic. i would go with either the 18 rubber snow tracks or 18 plastic super tracks. both are good and both have their differences. someone here with better tracks option knowledge will chime in as i dont know much about their performance. no doubt the late 90s argos are great but i would personally buy a 2005 avenger or up! everyone else here will tell you so as well. but if money is a problem sure go with a conquest 8x8,very good machines!

You could go with channel tracks for your new Argo a guy in Quebec makes them Ithink they would be better than the Argo rubber of plastic ones. Just my opinion you can check them out on You tube. My friend has the rubber Argo tracks and likes them but if you drop through the ice your in trouble but a channel track will claw its way out I think. Also with rubber tracks you get chain wind up unless you run track tuners and that another 600.00 US expense for a 8 wheeler. Just my opinion ☺

+ Reply to Thread