New motor - fried something

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New motor - fried something

New motor - fried something

Put a new 22HP Subaru into my 98 ARGO Vanguard today.....all was well until I fired it up for the first time. I seemed to have switched the power wire on the relay and as soon as I turned the key to the on position I heard a sizzle noise and saw a big puff of white smoke come out from under the engine couling near the fuel pump.....I took the couling off but could not find any burnt wires or melted parts??

I reconnected all the wires properly and the engine turns over, starts, but only runs for a second or two and then dies.

Any ideas what could of fried, and is this why my engine will not run now??

Your help is much appreciated.

Right need engine numbers. Thinking this engine is the eh65 not fuel injected I don't think. Need more info really. Sounds like your not getting power to the fuel shut down solenoid on the carb. Check fuses and make sure you have a good ground.

Not the EFI.....maybe it was the carb solenoid that fried???

It's the EH-64 20.5 HP Subaru/Robin Engine.

Thanks

Thanks...got it running, however I do not know what fried???? Very scary.....I think the burning was caused by poor ground....something got sacrificed???? Any ideas what it could have been??

The poor ground might have got hot when starting causing some smoke. The smoke also might have been the new muffler burning off. Bad grounds can cause some weird and some bad things at times.

It's really strange.....I cannot see anything that could burn in the area where the smoke was coming from, but I could hear a 2 second sizzle and there was a good cubic foot of white smoke.

The motor seemed to run fine for the 20 seconds that I tested it, so I guess time will tell.

If anyone has ideas of where to check I would really appreciate it.....I don't want the answer to this mystery to reveal itself deep in the bush.

Thanks, Rick

+ Reply to Thread