Issue with my Tecumseh charging system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Issue with my Tecumseh charging system

Issue with my Tecumseh charging system

I’m having trouble with the charging system on my Tecumseh oh180 I have in my max 2. The system is not charging the battery I’ve tryed narrowing down what the issue could be bought a new battery, went through the entire wire harness put a new inline fuse, checked the stator it read 123ohms, the only thing I haven’t checked is the regulator which I’m not sure how to check unless I buy a $180 regulator/rectifier tester which I’d rather not do if anyone can give me some insight that would be much appreciated

Hi Mainemax2. I don't know your engine specifically, but it sounds like you have checked all the major components. I would do three things. First, I would make sure the 123 ohms resistance at the stator is within specification. Next, although you have checked all the wires, I would simply run a continuity test from the output wire on the regulator to the positive battery cable (disconnect the battery and test with the key in the run position). I would think if there is no continuity then there is a wiring problem somewhere. Finally, if you still haven't found the problem, I would replace the regulator/rectifier.

unplug the regulator plug or wires and there should be 3 wires.2 wires that come directly from the stator and 1 that leaved the stator after being converted to AC voltage and should be around 13.5 volts coming off the 1 wire. get the tests for your specific engine and test resistance on the stator and if that shows good check to see what volts your getting when the regulator is hooked up. just put multi meter tips on battery while running and you should see it go up if no and your stator is good buy a new regulator. ebay should have cheaper ones!

Thanks for the help dirtdobber I ran a continuity test and one of the wires was dead

You are welcome. I hope you get going.

+ Reply to Thread