2000 Conquest Kawasaki FD620 not starting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Conquest Kawasaki FD620 not starting

2000 Conquest Kawasaki FD620 not starting

All,

I have a interesting issue that I cannot quite pinpoint logically. When I bought the argo, the thing started perfect and ran like a top. Recently, we have a difficult time starting the motor. Seems much worse when cold? Anyway, after I keep cranking, it will ultimately start (sometimes 20 min! but not continuous cranking) and runs fine. And will start up perfect for the rest of the day with idling and full power (it always had smelled like it is running rich). It appears to be getting fuel, as when choked, we get a strong fuel smell and if you pull plugs, you see that they are wet with fuel. Fuel pump appears to be working as I pulled the fuel line and when turning ignition on, it vibrates and fuel comes out. Not choking the engine results in no starting, so probably not a flooded condition. I have pulled plugs and tested to see if they are getting spark and have confirmed that.

I am pretty good with engines, but this one kinda does not seem to point to a single thing and has me perplexed. Maybe it is multiple things? I did a search and found a few things, but not really like this problem.

Thank you guys for any help!

Chris

Fuel solenoid may be sticking, if it was hit and miss I'd guess frayed wire, but this sounds like sticking solenoid needle. You could try to remove solenoid and clean the needle and the jet surface.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

The FD620 motor is tricky sometimes. For example this summer I started it up one day and drove it around the yard, all good. Started it again a week later and white smoke came billowing out the exhaust and it was running on one cylinder. I was convinced that the water pump had failed and it had overheated the previous run around the yard and warped the head causing a coolant leak. So i got ready to replace the water pump and start tearing it apart. But I couldn't find anything wrong with the water pump or thermostat. And I had previously warmed it up and noticed the radiator stayed cold while the engine was hot. But it turned out that I just hadn't let it warm up long enough, everything was working fine. The only thing that was wrong was the fuel was a little too old or it must have sucked in some water. I siphoned out the tank and replaced the fuel and it ran fine ever since.

Anyway other than checking your fuel I would check that fuel cutoff solenoid like argojim said, I believe a previous owner removed or ground off the one from my machine.

Is there any drawback to cutting the tip of the fuel cutoff solenoid, anybody have any run-on issues? Should I just replace? Also, if the fuel solenoid was not working, would I smell gasoline when attempting to start the motor with the choke on? Just attempting to run through all possibilities, as the argo is at the camp and my home is about 200 miles away. So, don't get to work on it until I go back down there (this weekend). Thanks for the advice so far!

Chris

Pretty much every Conquest that I know of has had the tip of the fuel cut-off solenoid removed. I personally have never had any issues doing it, nor do I know of any issues.
    If you smell gas I would suspect flooding, but I have not had issues with that either.

RD

Water may very well be an issue.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread