Argo chain replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo chain replacement

Argo chain replacement

I am new to the group and have been reading about replacement chain options. Are diamond chains a good replacement option on my 1982 Argo? 50-2 ten feet for $83.

Probably not the best quality but I bought mine on Amazon.
    10 feet for $30.00

i just bought all new chain for my max 2. it was from u.s.a. roller chain co. .....i bought diamond chain. i told the rep i did'nt want any made in japan or china like you get at tractor supply type stores. i wanted american made. he has been in the chain buisness a long time and said there is no chain made in the u.s.a anymore. it's all made overseas and assembled in u.s.a. by the chain co.s...but the chain is made to the specs of the chain co.s specs. kind of interesting. he said diamond was one of the best. a 10 ft. box of no. 60 at tractor supply or rural king was about $ 30.00. the diamond at u.s.a. chain was almost $ 80.00 . anyway i thought i would share that and see what others have found out. johnboy va.

I would go with tsubaki or diamond chains. I replaced all the chains in my conquest with some cheapo chain from ebay, saved a couple hundred bucks but within about 40 hours they were worn as much as the ones I replaced. I have 110 hours on my hdi on the original chains and none of them have worn enough to even engage the first tooth on the chain tensioners. So goes to show the difference in quality...

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i just bought all new chain for my max 2. it was from u.s.a. roller chain co. .....i bought diamond chain. i told the rep i did'nt want any made in japan or china like you get at tractor supply type stores. i wanted american made. he has been in the chain buisness a long time and said there is no chain made in the u.s.a anymore. it's all made overseas and assembled in u.s.a. by the chain co.s...but the chain is made to the specs of the chain co.s specs. kind of interesting. he said diamond was one of the best. a 10 ft. box of no. 60 at tractor supply or rural king was about $ 30.00. the diamond at u.s.a. chain was almost $ 80.00 . anyway i thought i would share that and see what others have found out. johnboy va.
    Diamond is good chain, I do know they 3 have different classes of chain with the cheapest Chinese chain being sapphire. Japanese brand chain is also good however a Japanese company like Tsubaki sells quality chain and different strength chain also like the Chinese chain Sapphire ( sorry that is Diamond brand) which is usually 1/2 to 1/3 third the price and last 1/3 the time.

If you find a chain on say ebay, pull up the mfrs specs on it and check the hour life of it and the tensile ( breaking) strength of it. Single 50 or 60 about 8900-9500 is good ( 4500 is no good for us), 50-2 will be about 13,500 give or take depending on brand.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 12-17-2017 at 08:01 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

good info jim !! j.b.

Hi, I'm new to this site but I've been doing a lot of snooping and replace my chain on a 1984 argo 8x8 I/C. 30 feet of Tsubaki and 2 feet of HKK. (all RS50-2). The HKK is measurably smaller on link height but same as Tsubaki on link plate thickness. Look on eBay but don't be in a hurry, look at descriptions and pictures. One site advertised rs50-2 but showed a picture of single strand, I asked them to check and it was miss identified on description. I've seen some people say that there maybe some lesser Quality Tsubaki made in China so try to look at pictures for the made in Japan on box or stamped in link. Lot's of good info on this site, Good luck.
    Last edited by plumb1er; 12-17-2017 at 11:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread