1997 Bigfoot pulls hard to the left

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Bigfoot pulls hard to the left

1997 Bigfoot pulls hard to the left

My 1997 Bigfoot chronically pulls to the left, so much so that I am constantly bumping the right brake to keep it chicken tracking down the trail. I used the brake so much the Argo never gets up to speed and the engine bogs down. It Does it with tires and or tracks on so I think it is something in the braking or a bearing maybe? Wheels on left side all seem to turn normally, no more drag on one than any other. I bought this machine a year ago and have yet to have a good outing in it. Am starting lose my patience with it. Unit has 500 hours on it now, outside of the driving issue it runs like a top. Anyone else ever experience this, appreciate any and all input! Dano

IS the left brake dragging at all? Is the tire pressure the same all around?

i know its easy to loose patients with these machines that have so many moving parts but its key to try your best to stay calm and take steps trouble shoot problems which we will all help you with.
    1.check tire pressure on both sides(less air will make the vehicle drag on one side and turn)
    2. do you have all the same tire on both sides?
    3.jack it up and check the bearings if you believe it has something to do with it.
    4.remove firewall and inspect you brakes.how thick are your pads,are your rotors nice and strait with no warps?,jack it up and see if you can spin the tires by hand and see if one side is harder to turn or dragging.
    5.check idler chain adjustment (1/8 is proper deflection of chain)
    normally you should be able to turn wheels by hand when jacked up. do these things and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Toys4Me View Post
    IS the left brake dragging at all? Is the tire pressure the same all around?
    tire pressure is all equal at 4 pounds. Had 2 bead leaks fixed, wasn't the problem. How can I check to see if brake is dragging? Set the machine up on axle stands and try to spin tires or is there some other way?

Jack up that side and spin tires. Have a helper spin the tires and listen to see if you hear them dragging. Also jack entire machine up and see if you feel a difference in resistance from side to side.

Thanks Curtis, frustrates the H#ll out of me. Bought it to keep my son safe trapping in the woods and I just cant seem to get it right for him. Have kinda brushed over the brakes, will have to check more thoroughly and the rotors, and test bearings again at same time. I haven't looked at the idler chain tension before will have to check it to. Tire are all Goodyear Runamuks, equal pressure 4 pounds, I even measured them all and put the smallest up front largest in the middle and the others at the back

Yeah was thinking that might be the best way, get the whole machine off the ground and compare side to side.

Question for Argo folks: does that unit have splined axles or pinned/bolted? If pinned/bolted and pins/bolts have sheared on the left side it would pull in that direction.

DD it will have splined axles.

TD are all the tires, when on tires 25x12x9 or 25x11.50.9 or mixed? You may have to do a circumference check and align tires from side to side and front to rear height wise (tires and track tires). The Argo's all seem to pull to the left naturally but not to that extreme.
    An easy way to check one brake issue is to grab the plunger between the stick and master cylinder and see if you can turn it with 2 fingers, it shouldn't spin free but should be turnable with your fingers, if not that brake is partially applied.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

just take a 1/2" wrench and back off the left brake caliper and see if the problem goes away, a lot quicker than jacking it up. it only takes seconds to adjust the brakes and you can do them with the firewall in place. I had a 96 Vanguard that the left brake would tighten up and drag sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread