1997 Bigfoot pulls hard to the left

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1997 Bigfoot pulls hard to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    just take a 1/2" wrench and back off the left brake caliper and see if the problem goes away, a lot quicker than jacking it up. it only takes seconds to adjust the brakes and you can do them with the firewall in place. I had a 96 Vanguard that the left brake would tighten up and drag sometimes.
    He should have hydraulic brakes.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    He should have hydraulic brakes.
    Opps, I assumed the 97 and 96 were the same.

not Sure if this reply is too late for you but an easy way to start would be to jack the side of your Argo up and free spin the tires. In neutral they should spin pretty easily make sure both sides of spinning the same amount of force and work your way back from there if the wheels are tighter on one side next logical step would be check your chain tension. If that is OK next would be to make sure your brakes are hanging up. very simple adjustment, a turn of a screw.. I know it is been said before there are a lot of moving parts but actually they're not. They're pretty basic machines and pretty bulletproof. my 1999 vanguard isnt measured in hours but in miles as it gets heavy use for long distances. ive put on approx 500 miles last year alone. keep the bearings greased every 20 hours and oil chain the same time, youl have this machine for ever.i hope this helps you.

I had the same problem with my 98 conquest. I never actually noticed it till I got it out ice fishing on the lakes and it was exactly as you describe: reach 25kph, pull steering lever and drop to 15km/h, repeat all day long making a jig saw pattern across the lake. At that time I tried letting the air down to 1psi in one side and 7 psi in the other side and it didn't make a bit of difference. I thought maybe I got it backwards, so I pumped the tires on the opposite side up and let the air out of the other but it was the same result.

After all the troubleshooting steps listed previously in this thread I concluded that the drive chains must be stretched more on one side than on the other. But then spring came and the problem was out of site out of mind, and I replaced all the chains this fall. But I haven't put the machine out on the ice yet this year to see if it fixed it, this thread reminded me of the problem. I will try and get the machine out this weekend to test.

Finally got a chance to spend a couple minutes on the machine. Adjusted the idler chain left side was looser then right, snugged it up to match right side at 1/8 of an inch. No difference still, seems to drive straight initially but as soon as it warms up it wants to go left again. Will do it in as little as a 5-600 yard run. hope to try and check the bearings and brakes on Sunday.

put a screw driver in between pads and rotor to get the pads off the rotor then drive without touching brakes at all.if it turns not the brakes if it dont turn its the brakes

Thanks Curtis i am going to try that tomorrow morning!

Pads are not tight against rotor, still goes left. Odd though I set the park brake and then got on the gas and went straight right round in a circle, like the left break wasn't grabbing at all? Would have bet a million bucks it would have gone left? Could play in any of the other chains besides the drive chain effect this? Chains to all have different amounts of tension on them from side to side and front to back?

Did you get to test your machine yet Coast2Coast? I had the same problem with my 98 conquest. I never actually noticed it till I got it out ice fishing on the lakes and it was exactly as you describe: reach 25kph, pull steering lever and drop to 15km/h, repeat all day long making a jig saw pattern across the lake. At that time I tried letting the air down to 1psi in one side and 7 psi in the other side and it didn't make a bit of difference. I thought maybe I got it backwards, so I pumped the tires on the opposite side up and let the air out of the other but it was the same result.

After all the troubleshooting steps listed previously in this thread I concluded that the drive chains must be stretched more on one side than on the other. But then spring came and the problem was out of site out of mind, and I replaced all the chains this fall. But I haven't put the machine out on the ice yet this year to see if it fixed it, this thread reminded me of the problem. I will try and get the machine out this weekend to test.

+ Reply to Thread