Project: Argoceptor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Project: Argoceptor

Working on the firewall:

I was planning to a completely new firewall out of diamond plate aluminum, but I think I'm going to do a combination of the original firewall and aluminum pieces.

Basically, I decided I don't want aluminum edges rubbing against the plastic tub walls and possibly wearing them away or thinning them over time.

I can’t believe it took me nearly the whole day to make this one plate on the firewall:

That stupid diamond plate did NOT want to form at all.

Now I have to decide what I want to do for the shifter. I could just re-cut the horizontal slot and put the stock shifter rod back on, but that just seems so much like a “cop out” after all the other custom work I’ve done....

Lotsa great pics and it looks like you're doing a great job at thinking outside the box with your machine.. I've gotta ask though.. With all of that diamond plate, won't it be like driving a mirror down the trail? I'd have visions of getting a sunburn in November from the reflection..

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    Lotsa great pics and it looks like you're doing a great job at thinking outside the box with your machine.. I've gotta ask though.. With all of that diamond plate, won't it be like driving a mirror down the trail? I'd have visions of getting a sunburn in November from the reflection..
    As previously mentioned, I’m considering paint colors....

it looks classy with the diamond plate. there are anti glare spay on products you may want to check out . '' glarebuster '' is one and rustoleum makes a spray on anti glare product . just punch in '' spray on anti glare products '' .... johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    it looks classy with the diamond plate. there are anti glare spay on products you may want to check out . '' glarebuster '' is one and rustoleum makes a spray on anti glare product . just punch in '' spray on anti glare products '' .... johnboy va.
    I'll check that out.

I do like the diamond plate, but like I also mentioned, I've had cars with things like chrome steering wheel centers and such and when the sun hits it.....Kablam! you're blinded. It's not something I care to experience ever again, so paint might be my only option....

I've been going through various linkages for the shift mechanism, but it just isn't going to work.

The problem is the Argo transmission needs such a wide arc to shift fully from reverse to high gear that there's just not enough room to make the linkage fit and have the shifter not protruding into the driver/passenger leg/knee space.

The alternative is multiple rods and bellcranks to make it work and that just gets needlessly complex and introduces more places for "slop" and looseness. Not a feeling of quality to say the least.

So I think I'll look at a push/pull cable shift mechanism. That give me the option of putting the shifter nearly anywhere I want it. For example, I could even put it on the left side of the seat if I need to.

My back is pretty messed up today (as well as my shoulder) so I'll probably limit myself to just designing it until everything calms down a bit.

sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you......

I'm admitting defeat with the shift lever. I've tried rods and levers and cables, nothing is working out. Only thing that seems to shift the Argo transmission (at least acceptably) is a lever directly connected to the shift shaft.

So, I'm just going to make a new lever, cut a slot in the firewall and be done with it. I've got better things to do with my life than fighting with a shifter that just....won't..... work....
    Last edited by great white; 05-31-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Been taking it easy the last couple days and haven’t touched the Argo.

Thinking I’m going to pick at getting the firewall done today.

Getting there on the firewall:

Still some work to do making the bits look nice, but its in, it fits and it’s functional.

I still want to do a few things with the shifter. I’ve go the old shift ball on there, but I want to rig up a brake for the driven clutch. Sometimes, there just enough belt drag to rotate the driven clutch, even when the drive clutch is fully disengaged. Shifting with even this light rotation makes it hard to shift and grinds gears. My plan is to use a bicycle rubber stopping caliper to grab the driven clutch and hold it while shifting. A small lever on the shifter lever will actuate it, which means a slight redesign of the shifter lever end in the cockpit. Nothing complicated, probably a “grip” style shifter handle and the cable lever. Something along these lines, although nowhere near as fancy looking:

I’m also tired of looking at that open engine bay, so I’m starting the work on the fiberglass hood...

+ Reply to Thread