Mud Nationals in THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mud Nationals in THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS

Just in case you might be interested. Ostacruiser has a YouTube video of the Sherp getting stuck at the Mud Nationals 2018. This is when I wish Argos and Mudd-OX where there to see what they could do in the same MUD PIT. I enjoy his videos, they are always having fun, Stuck or not.

From what I have seen the Sherp is an awesome machine under most conditions, but I have seen the machine stuck in the pudding mud that a tracked Argo or Mudd Ox would eat with very little effort. We were hoping we could catch up with the Sharp to find who the real King of the hill was but we never got the chance. I would like to believe that he had already seen the performance of a tracked AATV and wanted to make sure that show down did not happen, after all the Sherp cost over $100,000.00 and he could allow it to be beat in the mud by a tracked Argo or Mudd Ox. Attached below is a video of Noel Woods and David Sanders at Mud Creek, the Sherp in the same mud hole our machines made look easy at the Mud Nationals-you watch, you decide.

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 03-31-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Wow! I loved the videos, but seeing the Sherp get stuck was something I was not prepared for. Without a doubt, Juggernaught would have no trouble with that mud pit. The Sherp would have the advantage over high logs, but I have crawled over a 2 foot long many times with ease. Thank you so much for posting those videos.

Steve

Thanks for the videos. Looks like you guys had a great time. I’ve got to ask out of all the years you guys have done this have you converted many quad/UTV guys over to the amphibious machines? Do you see many other Argos there? I would think they would be sick of getting stuck.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

The answer to the question is that many folks have been towed out by our aatvs. It's unusual sometimes because when I meet complete strangers at either Mud Creek or River Run, many people already know my name without introduction. The same people say they have watched the videos, and are saving for an AATV. Several folks I've met in years past riding quads now have amphibs. For example, Ty Clark was one of those folks and now he is amongst the amphib group. Another man I spoke with last year showed up with his Argo 8x8 with Adair tracks on. He wanted to ride with us but said he was spending all his time with his quad friends pulling them out. I talked to another person with a 2014 Max2 with a 29hp Kohler, but no tracks. He mentioned that as soon as he got the tracks he would coordinate with me for a ride.
    I have several more friends with Argos here in Texas, and they have ridden with me before, but didn't like the masses at the big events.
    Every person who asked to go on a demo ride, I've taken. All have mentioned they were impressed.

The only criticism I have of the Mud Nats, is that they did away with the Endurance Race in 2017. My theory is that High Lifter axed the event because the Argos were dominating the track.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 03-31-2018 at 09:42 PM.

well you can see with the sherp..once those tires get caked with mud between the tire paddles you have 4 slicks that just won't grab.tracks won't get clogged like that from what i've seen in these videos .. johnboy va.

The above video comparison sure does look like the exact same kind of mud, depth thickness and water content. I don't think there is a secret, an AATV with good mud tracks will outperform a Sherp in this instance. There is stuff a Sherp can tackle due to it's size, but in the end there is simply limitations for all machines.
    I'm sure these rides do more for sales of AATVs than any advertisement Muddox or Argo could ever afford, and makes me happy to see you guys keeping these brands alive with this great publicity.

John Swenson, as I have suspected in the past, I don't think its so much; the treads fill with gumbo and smooth over causing the machine to get stuck, as the machine's travel slows to the point where tire spin fills the tread with gumbo causing the tires to get smooth and lack grip. Admittedly its a bit of the chicken or the egg with what comes first, but no doubt anyone who's wheels big trucks in this kind of mud know the huge cavitation formed in the mud can be just as hard to push through and overcome as the belly dragging in the goop. Tracks, especially tracks filled with buoyant balloon tires do VERY well in this kind of mud.

That’s exactly what I’m dealing with, mud wise, and other than slowly pushing threw to the next root mat, for the tracks to get on, it’s the identical problem. Just not enough propulsion to push the belly threw. Plenty of power from the max but tracks just spin in the goo.

good points guys.. would be fun to see a ''sherp '' with tracks !! j.b.

It was great to be back in Jacksonville,riding with all our friends from previous years,and to make new friends that showed up this year.The mud was perfect,not too soupy, not too stiff,and just the right amount of water,glad the water subsided from 2 weeks previous.
    We had a large group of XTV's this year, and made it just that much better, and the bonus was that we had ODG there also,thanks corporate for showing up!

+ Reply to Thread