Baker hill low range

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baker hill low range

Baker hill low range

I have my 7000 out for pucks and would like a low range and I have 13 tooth drive sprockets to replace my 15s , has anyone tried this?

I don't need 50 mph( I am getting old)(er) , I need crawl gears . Stock ST400R 2 stroke CCW engine .
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

I haven't heard of this, but a four stroke will crawl just over 1000 rpm.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes if I had a four stroke I think I would leave it alone your right Jim.
    But, I really like what I have now and it will idle all day long and runs perfectly around my property just would like a low range for the steep climbs we have .
    In the dunes nearby it pulls hard and will climb most anything at speed but that does me no good at home where I use it most.

I think Don told me those lower gears came on the colts with smaller engines.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

KIMG1415.jpg

I swapped over to low range gear set this weekend, Having issues with the new pucks so that put a halt to that for now. It gave me a chance to slow down and clean out the tub a bit, since I see pics of some of you 6x6ers tubs and then I look at mine and eeeeeeks!! that's nasty!!
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

Cool, I didn't know you had a set of disks, let us know how this works out.

BTW we've heard nothing of the Superchief since it's arrival.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Cool, I didn't know you had a set of disks, let us know how this works out.

BTW we've heard nothing of the Superchief since it's arrival.
    Thanks Jim for even remembering things like that, I do still have super chief just been tough lately on bucks for the toy's. Even saving up for the puck's had to wait a bit. My shop is doing well again after our move and things are looking up.
    I really appreciate you bringing it up, it's all good .
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

check that its not just excess grease on disks. almost every time i rebuild my 6000 i end up having to cleaning the disks.
    Thats is after you get the pucks adjusted up. i can't think off hand if its the drive disk or brake disc but one will adjust up
    real well and the other has to have some play in it. (if you look one disk moves in and out more than the other) (the one with little movement adjust first)
    best to do with the wheels off the ground. spin and drive, spin and brake adjust repeat... (by hand of coarse)

Thanks James , I will do that and last time a rebuilt the whole transmission I got carried away with the grease.

I am stuck for now as the pucks I just purchased are too thick to go in the caliper slots, they should be around .301 5 1/16 and these are made .380 . They say they are originals and they are all the same but they can't be. Project on hold for now until I come up with a solution. I am worried the material will break up if I try sanding down to correct size. Maybe later machines had wider calipers but usually those have T20s but I am far from knowledgeable in that department???
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Thanks James , I will do that and last time a rebuilt the whole transmission I got carried away with the grease.

I am stuck for now as the pucks I just purchased are too thick to go in the caliper slots, they should be around .301 5 1/16 and these are made .380 . They say they are originals and they are all the same but they can't be. Project on hold for now until I come up with a solution. I am worried the material will break up if I try sanding down to correct size. Maybe later machines had wider calipers but usually those have T20s but I am far from knowledgeable in that department???
    Silly question for you Andy,

You do know the calipers are adjustable, correct? That would be 2 adjustments per caliper.

Andy, i am a novice at best as Jim will tell you, but i just made pucks for my 7000 and you are right with size-5/16 (.3125) by 1.25". I bought a sheet 7.5" x 7.5" of medium brake material and drilled them out with 1 1/2" hole saw then ground them down to 1 1/4". They did not chip and with light pressure and constant movement i was able to get what i needed. You should be able to do what Jim said and adjust your screws out to allow your pucks to go in allowing for the extra 1/16, at least on the outer pucks.

+ Reply to Thread