maxx pros and cons

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: maxx pros and cons

maxx pros and cons

I was thinking about purchasing a max and was wandering what are the pros and cons of this machine and if any of the models come with an alternator..

All models have a 16amp alternator. The Maxes have parts readily available and they're very reliable machines. If you want speed, they arent that fast, maybe 25mph or so, but they are very tough and have lots of hill climbing/deep mudding ability.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

alternator

Well is there any way I could put an alternator in my hustler?

There is, ask Hey_Dan78 how he did it with his Max. Its pretty easy to do actually. It worked out very well for him and it put out a lot of juice.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Briggs powered Max's have the 16amp system. Most 20 and 25hp Kohler Command V-Twins have a 15amp. 23hp and some later 25hp Kohler Command V-twins have a 25amp system. Kawasaki 27hp liquid v-twin have 20amp charging system.

max pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by kodashane View Post
    I was thinking about purchasing a max and was wandering what are the pros and cons of this machine and if any of the models come with an alternator..
    Max II is a great machine and as is probably awsome with the 23 hp motor. I also like the fact that you sit it the middle of these machines. The main problem as far as I am concerned is ground clearance. A few folks have taken the 24" frontier tires and put them on a MaxII. It looks like a good set up. There are pictures of a maxII in the photo file with 25" tires. I didn't know you could get 25" tires on a maxII or I proably would have bought one! Anyway with 25" tires and 23 hp they must truely be a terror in any terrain. I wish the guy who posted the two pictures of the MaxII with 25" tires would give us a little information about there performance. I have a MAXIV and I like it a lot but I don't like the fact that I sit in the front over the front wheels, but, I must say that sometimes in really rough terrain this is a big advantage being able to look down and see whats in front of you. But, simple matters of leverage tell you if you are sitting over the front wheels the ride is going to be rougher than sitting in the middle. I do like the fact that I can carry four people in my max and I do that a lot.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-09-2007 at 10:07 AM.

The man you are referring to ,with the Max II ,that has the 25 inch tires, modified the wheel wells of his Max II body, with a 2x2 board and a heat gun I,m pretty sure.

max II with big tires

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    The man you are referring to ,with the Max II ,that has the 25 inch tires, modified the wheel wells of his Max II body, with a 2x2 board and a heat gun I,m pretty sure.
    Cool, but I would really like to know how his machine does in different types of terrain. It's looks like it would be unstoppable. Light weight, good power,ground clearance and big tires, wooooow what a combination!!!

Black Max

My Max's are always projects in progress. Ive used 18'', 21",22'',and 25'' tires and with stock sprockets I have found that you have the best power to weight ratio with the 21 and 22 inch tires. Ive used 16 HP Tec, 18 HP Vanguard, 4 strokes and a 55 HP Rotax two stroke with all these tire sizes to determine this. The 25 ride smooth and handle great for a 6x6 over rocky rutted terrain and have great traction. They are awsome in the Mud! They also climb well but you will get to the top faster with the 21", and 22" tires when pushing the max to it's vertical limits. The 25" rawhides swim about as good as the 22" Rawhides but the 21s" seem to be the fastest in the water. I hear the 24" Argo tires perform the best in the water but what else would you exspect from a tire engineered for an aatv. I wish I had a set just to try. I'm currently running 22" Maxxis 4-SNOW tires which have an exsplosive power to weight ratio with a healthy 18 Vanguard motor. The only draw back is they have almost no swiming ability. A sproket change would be smart to gain back the power weight ratio the max has with the 22" tires while running the 25" tires but this is only an issue in very steep terrain. Swamps are no problem!
    Attached Images

Could you tell us a little about the 55 horse rotax. Seems like it would be a killer with 25" tires and a red spring clutch. Have you tried the red spring clutch? With a high horse power engine like the rotax, it will keep that engine reving and in the sweet spot in mud and climbing and will not let you run out of power! It just keeps going lower and lower in extreme situations. It seems like this combo would be awsome with a high rpm two stroke. Also please talk about the two stroke for a moment or two. I know when I rode a high horse power two stroke quad in the sand of pismo beach the power and fun factor were really cool but you had to work really hard to keep that engine in the right gear and in it's power band. Is this a simular situation with a 6x6?

+ Reply to Thread