Straightening body edges on my Argo 8X8 (approx 1986?)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Straightening body edges on my Argo 8X8 (approx 1986?)

Straightening body edges on my Argo 8X8 (approx 1986?)

I finally got around to rebuilding my argo 8X8. The edges (lips?) of the bottom and top are warped, looks like a roller coaster front o back and sags on both sides of the behind the seat cross brace. Also the lip on both the top and bottom only on the one front corner on the exhaust side is bent down, approx on a 20 degree angle all the way around the corner. How do I go about straightening the joints to gain tire/track clearance and achieve a better surface for riveting the two pieces together?

Post a couple pictures.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant L View Post
    How do I go about straightening the joints to gain tire/track clearance and achieve a better surface for riveting the two pieces together?
    Make a body band from angle iron around the seam and tie it into the frame, ROPS or seat support to hold it up and keep it straight.

That was what I figured I will need to do. Are there any members that have done this with pictures or better a how to video. I am new at this 8x8 game.

My hustler did the same thing after separating the halves of the tub. A heat gun will work a little bit, but just sandwiching them back together with clamps ad bolts works well. OR, like he said, make a body band -it's like a bumper around a bumper car- from Home Depot 1/8 inch angle iron. You'll have to weld pieces together to get your desired length. I mounted mine with the flat sides up and outward, like an upside-down L. For the round corners, cut "V"s out of the top flat surface every couple inches and bend it 'round, then weld up the slits that are left. Cut the first V really slim, and open it up as you need to get the necessary bend. Then copy that size V. Lots of welding and drilling holes (up from the bottom to line up factory holes) then paint it black or bedliner. Then you can bang around in the woods with moderate protection.

+ Reply to Thread