Stuck hubs...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck hubs...

Stuck hubs...

I didn't see a tech section and I haven't been on here in a long time. My Hustler has been sitting for way too long.

I need help with ideas for removing the hubs from the axle shafts. I had to torch the axles to get everything disassembled. Everything was extremely rusted together.

I've tried a ton of PB Blaster and free all. I've gotten them red hot with a torch and used a press. They won't budge??

Maybe I should just built new hubs with matching bolt pattern? I have a 20' section of cold rolled 1" for new axles.

If they didn't move with that much heat and a press you may as well just fab new hubs. Does your machine have 1 inch axles now? That seems a little light.

Hey xj35s, when you say hubs are you referring to the things that hold the studs for the wheel to mount on? Also, are we talkin' fiberglass Hustler 880?

Probably Joe, they are welded on.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes, hustler 880 and I saw your question about the jet prop. I can't find the picture but I know it's belt driven off the main t-20 pulley and I believe it involves a 90 degree gear box.

I was very confused when I posted and should have gone out to look at it first. It's not the hubs that are the concern. It's the sprockets. They were held in place by a single bolt originally. I'm not sure what to do to make new drives to all 3 axles . thinking maybe tracks and drive the rear axle only to simplify things?

If anyone in NY is interested I may be willing to give this thing away.

DSC02522.jpgDSC02506 (600 x 450) (300 x 225).jpg

Thanks for the info about the jet drives. That will be my next build. I'd try like heck to salvage those sprockets for re-use, they're not (at least for me, lol) the easiest things to fab. To get them apart they MUST be heated cherry red all the way thru. This will break the "Galvanic Bond" that is so tenaciously holding them to the axle. More often than not, the press is not necessary. Just tapping the axle loose when cooled should suffice. Good Luck!! Oh yes, like Jim said, the wheel flanges are welded on.

you could always chuck the sprocket tubes up in a lathe and drill/ machine out the old axles
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    you could always chuck the sprocket tubes up in a lathe and drill/ machine out the old axles
    That is exactly what i had to do with one of my machines!!

XJ,

Looking at your pics it looks like you were applying heat to the axle instead of the tube. Set it up in the press again and heat the tube but not the axle. The idea is to expand the tube moreso than the axle. You can also take an air chisel and score a line down the length of the tube. That will expand the tube slightly. In fact, you can apply penetrating oil as you heat it, and the heat will help the oil make its way down, but BE CAREFUL. Penetrating oil is flammable. Keep the flame away when you apply the oil, and if the parts are hot enough they will flame up anyway. Just be careful.

Another problem you may have is damage to the axle bolt hole. That hole will sometimes mushroom around the edges and it never will press through the tube. As others have said, you may have to machine them out.

Good luck.

I Have a plasma so I can cut the hubs off. What is the reason for all the chains ? or what's the down side to using one large chain for all 3 axles with some idler sprockets to keep them tight?

I have to build a new chassis anyway so I can set up the drive any way that works best. It's amazing the damage a belly full of leaves will do!

+ Reply to Thread