Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

Yeah I copied the track design from the "Zhuk" or "Beetle" vehicles built in a fellows garage in Novosibirsk, really high class work. The crimped tube crossmember goes as far back to 2010 from a guy in Chelyabinsk I remember (thanks Internet).

I built a bender out of scrap to bend the round stock guides. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

Aha here is their website , I knew I had it bookmarked!
    Last edited by pinestumps; 04-25-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: website link

Can I have it?

Really appreciate you posting the results of all your hard work. Please keep it coming.

No prob

That is super impressive! Its hard enough to rebuild a tracked vehicle, much less build one from scratch. Major props on the effort and the results.
    Nick

Pinestumps, What state would we find this beast in? Have you had it on the water yet to see how she floats?
    Last edited by onlyonce; 04-30-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackster View Post
    That is super impressive! Its hard enough to rebuild a tracked vehicle, much less build one from scratch. Major props on the effort and the results.
    Nick
    Thanks, have to hand it to the Russians they know how to design track machines!

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    Pinestumps, What state would we find this beast in? Have you had it on the water yet to see how she floats?
    NE Iowa. Haven't been in full amphibian mode yet, but the tub is watertight. Usually we get a lot of rain this time of year but it has been very dry, so I don't know when I'll get a chance to do a swim test.

ATV is false advertising, unless you're a helicopter

Did a swim test. Performance was rather disappointing, it wouldn't swim forward very well but backwards it swam just fine. Deflectors were added on the return side of the track, but they didn't help much. There must be some funky dynamics going on from forward to reverse . Stability was also an issue too, but that is okay because more stuff will be added allowing the machine to sit lower in the water from the increased weight.

+ Reply to Thread