Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

That style track is not known to be a great swimmer. Interesting that it would swim a lot better backwards. If you find out why please let us know.
    Last edited by onlyonce; 05-06-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Amazing rig....love the diff idea ...just wish one could split that so as to connter rotate steer.

Amazing build.

Do you have files for the cnc cutting?

What is your investment in raw materials such as steel track grousers and such...not counting time or parts like wheels tyres engine trans....just basic raw materials.

What about some limk5ing blocks on walking beams prevern body slapping?

Have you considered going hydraulic like the mudox? Would allow much more room internally...maybe get some small planetery drives outboard driven by two hyd motors....

Cost would go up...sadly

Great job amazing machine.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    That style track is not known to be a great swimmer. Interesting that it would swim a lot better backwards. If you find out why please let us know.
    I will let you know if I figure it out. Looking at a Russian rig with the same track system, it looks to go 7 kph in choppy water. His tracks look fully submerged, not that it matters perhaps?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZZkPFKXkQ

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Amazing rig....love the diff idea ...just wish one could split that so as to connter rotate steer.

Amazing build.

Do you have files for the cnc cutting?

What is your investment in raw materials such as steel track grousers and such...not counting time or parts like wheels tyres engine trans....just basic raw materials.

What about some limk5ing blocks on walking beams prevern body slapping?

Have you considered going hydraulic like the mudox? Would allow much more room internally...maybe get some small planetery drives outboard driven by two hyd motors....

Cost would go up...sadly

Great job amazing machine.
    Thank you.

Yes I do have cnc files. There is some interest from guys around my area for a kit/plans which would be fun to do, but I didn't want release anything until I work these bugs out.

Looking at my spreadsheet I spent:
    -$2175.16 on steel components (this includes the precut/preformed plate steel)
    -$79.05 on hardware
    -$514.37 on non-metallics (conveyor belt and polyurethane casting compound)
    So around $2800 in raw materials, not cheap. But to me the cost is justified in ruggedness and adaptability. This year though multiply the steel cost by 1.4, because tariffs .

On my next machine I want to move to independent wheel suspension with torsion bars, I have been looking at Ford and chevy truck torsion bars for a foundation.

I withdrew from hydraulics because of cost and complexity like you mentioned. Not too mention my history with hydraulics is a little tainted from previous projects (don't ask lol). In the end I was going for that 'good enough' design, where it uses simple/common automotive mechanical components.

Did you just bolt that extension onto the existing track? Are you noticing a big difference in flotation in the mud?
    Looking good.

It still only has the summer tracks.

I've only tested a section of the extension back in early April. Extensions will only be for winter use to keep up with the Tuckers and Sno Tracs up north, I have a feeling they will work just fine.

Delicious

Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Awesome machine! Thanks for the pic's.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    Hey, I think I know. I'm guessing your drive sprocket is on one of the ends, right? Going one way, the track under the vehicle runs tense. Going the other way, the track will slacken. One or the other swims better. If you can, get a go pro , a case, and a stick and look at what the track is actually doing down there.

+ Reply to Thread