Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Amphibious Tracked Vehicle

Little winter performance update.

In the 2' of fresh powder we had, the winter tracks allowed me to climb 10° grades with little difficulty. Anything over resulted in loss of traction, no vehicle bellying though. Really didn't get as much run-time as I wanted this season, but it was nice to test it in the snow.

IMG_20190224_180717538.jpgIMG_20190221_160226024.jpg

That’s as awesome machine you’ve got there. That’s really good to be in that deep of powder and not belly out. Did you notice a big difference in floatation by putting on the extra belting on the outside?
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    That’s as awesome machine you’ve got there. That’s really good to be in that deep of powder and not belly out. Did you notice a big difference in flotation by putting on the extra belting on the outside?
    Flotation was no issue with the track extensions, I still had about 7" of ground clearance with 2 people onboard. One thing I didn't think about was the uneven loading of the track and the subsequent sideways 'twisting' of the track in the soft snow. My super duper angle iron extensions sank 2-3" in the snow while the summer tracks sank a full 6", no bite where I needed it . On snow cats asymmetric track I notice they run a grouser all the away across to eliminate the twisting, but with the season over I'll take it as a learning experience!

I often wondered about that every time I see those track extensions hanging way out there.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

From this winter in michigan

IMG_20200131_124905228_HDR.jpg

Glad you are out enjoying the white stuff. Almost no snow this season here in Pennsylvania to play in. What is the third machine back?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    Glad you are out enjoying the white stuff. Almost no snow this season here in Pennsylvania to play in. What is the third machine back?
    Yeah down in Iowa we didn't get much powder, had to haul it up to the UP to enjoy the deep snow. From what I recall it's a early 90's mid-engine Tucker, the guy who owns it grooms for his snowmobile club. Not sure on the model #...

This build and DiyDonn have me wanting to build something for my Kohler twin. I'm thinking something with a flip down front I can back my wheelchair right up into. I had hustlers and max, but my shoulders were too shot to get down in them and back out on my own by the time I had to sell my last 6x6. Golf carts still handle like golf carts even with big engines and lift kits. So I decided I just need to build my own I'm still planning and working on watching your videos. My plans are to use the CVT/tc setup in conjunction with a fwd manual transmission, and brake steering. I'm hoping that gives me plenty of gear ratios. It's just a pipe dream now but as soon as my new shed is built I will start gathering parts, about a month and half or so yet.
    DanW

hey dan ....i know you can do that build . nice tracked machine that you can roll right into and off ya go ! a nice shed to work in is just the ticket , i need to start getting my tracks ready for this winter . just a few modifications and i'll be ready to go . take care , keep us posted . johnboyva.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hey dan ....i know you can do that build . nice tracked machine that you can roll right into and off ya go ! a nice shed to work in is just the ticket , i need to start getting my tracks ready for this winter . just a few modifications and i'll be ready to go . take care , keep us posted . johnboyva.
    It made me really sad the last couple times I got in my hustler how much it hurt my shoulders after, then the bands were too long so I couldn't even enjoy it. I got totally disgusted and disappointed. Now I e circled back around and still think tracks or skid steer would still be more suitable, I just need to make it work for me is all. Thankfully I learned a ton in the past few couple years. I'm glad to hear youre still doing it johnboy, I think about you often and hope someday whether golf cart or ATV or otherwise we can make it down to ride. We were looking for ground down your way but my father in law fell ill and we almost lost him, but he's good now but my wife is afraid to move away. Soi guess we will make the best of what we have.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread