Soldotna Alaska

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soldotna Alaska

Soldotna Alaska

Have a friend that is about to make a trip to Alaska. He will be traveling to a place called, i hope i have this spelled right(SOLDOTNA). Anyone there know anything about this location?
    They told him to take Bear repellent!

Just curious as to where this is and how remote this location might be. He will be there for 7 days.

Thanks
    Lewis

Soldotna

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post

Have a friend that is about to make a trip to Alaska. He will be traveling to a place called, i hope i have this spelled right(SOLDOTNA). Anyone there know anything about this location?
    They told him to take Bear repellent!

Just curious as to where this is and how remote this location might be. He will be there for 7 days.

Thanks
    Lewis
    Soldotna is a small fishing village on the Kenini Peninisula about 75 miles South of Ancorage. Most people go there to Salmon fish or to catch Halibut(best tasting fish in the world) weighing up to 300 pounds. There are a lot of Moose and a few Bear but not so many you have to really worry. If you look at the map I lived about fourty miles South of Soldota in a Small town called Homer. I went to Soldotna to take my sons to a basket tournament. Compared to homer it was somewhat civilized.We were pretty isolated and I lived about 22 miles outside of town. If you went deep into the woods you carried a 45 just in case. You saw Moose almost every day and some times several in one day. Now and again you would see a bear but not that often. If my sons went fishing they took a gun with them. I would say that generally your friend has little to worry about in Soldotna since this is a more highly populated area and the bears stay away from this area. The real place to worry is Kodiack another 200 miles south, famous for the Grizzly bears. If your going into the woods there you carry a very big rifle. Guides like the 45 caliber fashioned after the old bufflo rifle. I used to have one. Very serious stuff when you fire one, they kick like a mule.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-09-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks Dan

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a nice place to do a little fishing and just plane getting away from it all.

Lewis

Hey I went salmon fishing near there a few years ago, stayed with a friend near Homer. Great area, fantastic fishing,hungry bears and lots of moose.
    I would love to go back.
    By the way, non residents cannot carry a gun.
    Bruce

Yep, don't shoot the bears, but pack the other kinda Heat. An 8 ounce, 30ft shot for 7 seconds Pepper Spray.

Don't forget the quick draw holster.. buried in your pack is not where to keep it.

Other possible uses besides bears comes to mind, hmm..
    Attached Images
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thanks for the info guys

Friend of mine is going there with his church group, asked him how they got around, they may have a few 6x6's to ride. He did purchase the bear repellent. Which was said to be more effective then a gun. thanks for the info guys.

lewis

+ Reply to Thread