Need to re power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to re power

Need to re power

Ok i have a old chaparral looking for cheap ways to re power.
    Would like to convert to 4 stroke which would mean changing drive system too.
    Where would i start looking

What are you driving? What type and extent of riding do you do?
    There are many options out there though some fit better or easier than others.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

It's a old white chaparral with a 340 jlo 2 cycle in it now that is tired, used basically for going up and down the same hill carring stuff hill is about 150 feet at a 20 to 30 degree angle depending on where you measure . Looking for cheap and reliable. If you replace drive clutch on motor do you also have to replace driven on transmission?

many guys seem happy with the harbor freight 23 h.p. 4 cycle motor. it's affordable, not sure how hard it would be to fit in your machine. you will probably get some replies about it here soon. good luck, j.b.

Unless you find something used the Predator gx390 or Duromax clones seem to be the cheapest engines out there, just look for something with a 1" keyed crankshaft then find either a Salisbury clutch, the comet continuance or the comet Duster clutch to match your belt width. The 2 stroke driven will work though you find you need to replace the spring with either a green or red spring.

Exhaust should be your biggest issue to overcome, so it vents out of the machine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

How hard is spring replacement .

It's not that hard, I'd let it go until you find you may need more power as the swap would work with existing driven.

There are many threads on the site of engine swaps on Attex, Max, Argo and Amphicat machines many of which have pictures of mountings and exhaust routings. Do a bunch of thread searches for an idea of what you are into. Whether you go single or twin is up to what you find locally, 1"" shaft is the cheapest route though 1-1/8 is an option with a more expensive drive clutch.

Wondering about 500cc liquid cooled snowmobile as a donor, pros vs
    cons

+ Reply to Thread