Baker hill CVT belt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baker hill CVT belt

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgt View Post
    How exactly did you put the motor on struts? And was it the stock Rockwell 300cc?

I have the 4-stroke on slotted bolt holes, just can't adjust it back nearly far enough to use that belt. Annoyingly it seems that width belt is either 45.98" or under 40" which are both outside my adjustment range... The belt I have now was just sitting around my shop and measures about 1-1/8" wide by about 44.5" long. I think it was originally a 1-3/16" belt that's just really worn. The engine barely fits, I'd have to do some serious modifications to my current crossmember to move it back another inch to clear the 300668 belt, I may have to do that, though... I guess I could also find an overbore piston for the rockwell and rebuild it...

When I got my machine it had been sitting full of leaves and water for 30 years so I had to take the trans apart and replace every bearing and seal along with making the secondary clutch work again.

His was already cut so we had options.
    Try these as he may go here in the future.

Comet 204331, 213295, or what you may want 300632.

I think rick was concerned with clearance against trans before final install, we also had extra steel in frame added by someone to deal with.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yeah, that 1" tube was already cut. I have about 6" left on each side. I mounted a 1/4" plate on top of the rails and then attached the struts to it and then mounted motor on struts. I have a 13hp predator in it and its sitting up about 1 1/2"- 2" higher than yours it looks. No engine cover. i will try to get pick posted tomorrow to give you an idea. There isn't much room back there as you have found out lol Because of the lower tub flaring outward on the rear you gain a little clearance as you raise the motor

I had to make that custom heat shield for the cylinder out of aluminum flashing because the stock one hit. As it sits now I have less than 1/4" to the metal support between the sides. There's actually a few inches clearance between the engine at the back of the tub, the issue is the bottom of the engine hits the back of my motor mount. I kept the stock motor mounting tab on the back of the frame which limited my adjustment range. I initially restored the machine with the Rockwell engine which turned out to not work for several reasons, I had the gx390 already sitting around my shop, the choice was clear. The engine was actually from a generator so it had a j609b taper shaft, however there's just over an inch of shaft that had a 30mm OD coming out of the engine. I turned that down to a 30mm clutch taper and used the stock two stroke clutch, obviously modified for 4-stroke RPM range.
    I could cut the stock rear mounting tab off the frame, but then I'd have to weld something else on without melting a hole in the ABS...

Also, how in the world did you find those CVT belt part numbers? I've had little success searching by size, but you seem to have nailed it with one of those. I'll have to do some careful measuring, but the 300632 belt might just work. 45.2" isn't much shorter than 45.98" but it's ~1/16 wider so it'll sit higher in the secondary.

Jim has been around 6 wheelers for a long time and knows quite a bit. Oh yeah, he also spends a lot of time on the internet
    Last edited by rickga; 08-04-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Chris, i didn't get pic yet but Jim and I were talking, and i actually cut out the mid section of my upper to make room for valve cover area and exhaust. Think Jim found another belt that is 44"+ that will work for you. Looks like your machine is clean and uncut so let's keep it that way lol

Yea, I didn't want to modify anything. I had to cut a slight notch into the right side frame angle iron to clear the lower fan shroud, but that's it. I don't actually have the tube between the sides of my frame, the first gens are a bit flimsier it seems. Last night I came across the 204331A which is 7/8" wide and 44.53" long. I'm thinking that's going to be perfect. Today I was messing with the driveshaft in the 51 plymouth because I have a carshow tomorrow and of course it started vibrating and acting weird... I'll go play with a tape measure tomorrow and double check, but that belt should be just the thing.

Too bad it's such a pain in the rear to change the CVT belt on these...

My engine cradle even just dropped directly into the stock location.

In this picture it's just tack welded together without the holes drilled yet, but it fits like a glove. I'm pretty happy with how the swap came out. I've swapped engines on boats and it's the same game. Shove an engine that juuuuust barely fits into a location it wasn't designed for and make it work.

Well, the Comet 204331A works but I wish it was an inch shorter. I have the engine pretty much all the way back in my adjustment slots, an inch shorter belt would bring it half an inch close to the transmission. The next smaller size belt they have is about 1-7/8" shorter, though. I think it would be tight getting it on, but it would fit perfectly. Next time I need a belt I know what I'll get. I still wish it wasn't such a pain to change the belt on the baker hill. I was honestly really tempted to turn a sprocket and bolt it where the clutch goes and then use a CVT bolted to the engine with a chain to the transmission, but I realized that's a lot of effort and the stock system works just fine.

Glad you found a belt that will work. Yeah, pulling trans off mounts sucks to change belt but like you said it works just fine so not worth effort. Good luck and have fun with it!

Hi new to this jus got a 208tt wandering how to change the belt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdude View Post
    Hi new to this jus got a 208tt wandering how to change the belt
    You will need to unbolt the engine stand and remove the trans from the carrier.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread