Channel tracks for Max ll

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Channel tracks for Max ll

Channel tracks for Max ll

Hi, I'm looking to put channel tracks on my 93 Max ll. I've contacted Marcel but he doesn't ship to the US. I've decided to attempt to make my own. After I hand bent my first grouser at what I thought it should be. I decided that before I went and tried to hand bend all the rest I should be sure that it was correct. I am wondering if any one has these on a Max ll and if so could I get the dimensions, drawing, pictures with dimensions. Anything that would help me complete this. I will be using 21x11x8 tires or I could go to 20x11x8 if thats necessary. Thanks in advance.

dex..looking forward to seeing your '' channel style '' tracks for your max 2 when they are done . it should be a fun project . are you using channel shape metal for the '' grousers '' ? i enjoyed making my own first set of tracks . if i made another set ( i have adairs now ) i would also copy the channel design. i think if you don't get any info from a owner..you could probably get a design that's close by watching the videos of the tracks on any of the aatv's. good luck.. johnboy va.

Thanks for the encouragment. I've spent hours looking at the videos and pictures posted here of them. I actually used the measurements that I got off of one set of pictures where they had a tape measure up next to them. After 4 attempts at the bending of them I got one that actually looked pretty good but I don't think it was the same tire size that I have. Thats when I decided if I was going to hand bend them all I better get it right. I'm hoping someone on here that owns a set will get back to me with details. Crossing my fingers. I've had the Max for a few years but found that it wouldn't get me where I wanted to go. I kind of mothballed it. My brother just bought a 2003 Argo Response with tracks and I figured I better get some tracks on mine so I can go save him when he calls.

I'm excited to see what you come up with. I have a Max ii also and am planning on building track s eventually.
    DanW

Adair Argo sells a track kit for Max2s.

I've looked into the Adair track and I think that for me the Channel tracks would work best also less expensive in the long run if I can get the dimensions for the grousers. I'm pretty sure I can bend them by hand. I've done a few but I'm not ready to commit to trying to bend them all the same until I'm sure I have it right. Unfortunately, no one has let me know what the dimensions would be. If I don't get any responses soon I'm going to have to give a it try with what looks best. I've spent a fair amount of time with the grousers that I have made underneath the tires staring at them trying to decide how far off the ground the belt should be and how close the grouser should come to the side wall. I have problems with commitment I guess. If there wasn't so many of them needed I would be more inclined to just dive in and start bending them and hope for the best. The steel for them will be under $200 but it would still hurt a bit if I wasted it.

dex..just a few thoughts on your tracks. if you copy the chanel track design , will you be using wheel extensions to clear the tub ? are you using the same style steel bar for the grousers and are you bending them cold or heated. for the right shape to fit over the tires, use a piece of 2 x 6 piece of board . bend a piece of thin metal rod to get the true shape and contour of the tire just right then transfer it to the board. cut that shape out of the board and test it on the tire for a good fit . either piece of board can be for testing each grousers shape. i'm sure the chanel track grousers are shaped in a large press and die setup. you could cut each for the grousers and weld them together using a jig..it would be more work though. just some thoughts, johnboy va.

I will be making my wheel extensions and I have that figured out. I will be using 1 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/8 channel and bending it cold and so far I have about $15 into my test bending. I did talk to a fabrication shop here and they quoted $28.69 per grouser. Marcel sells the whole track for less than what I would have to pay for just the grousers. I'll be bending them cold and have been using a harbor freight bender but am thinking about trying to bend them with a shop press for better accuracy, the harbor freight bender seems to want to let the steel move a bit when bending the channel side. I did use thin metal to get the original shape before I went to the channel. My concern now is how tight the channel should be to the tire as it goes up and how far up from the ground the belting should be. Thanks for the advice and the quick response. I was just on the way out to the garage to stare at it again for a bit. I would like to get this done soon. Like I said earlier my younger brother just bought a 2003 argo response with plastic tracks that he wants to use on some property that he just bought that has a lot of swamp, cat tails etc. I have a strange feeling that the plastic tracks aren't going to do well in that situation and he's going to be calling me to come save him. I just want to say that both myself and my brother would love to buy the tracks for our machines from Marcel but after a few emails back and forth it's clear that he doesn't ship to the US.
    Last edited by Dexter59; 04-24-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Some pics of what I've played with so far. John, thanks for the idea of welding them. I cut the channel part, bent it then welded it. I was able to get the exact spot for the bend that way. It didn't take to long to do. I want to try on a shop press yet and see how that works for getting them all the same. If that doesn't work as well I think I'm going to go with the cutting them, bending then welding. It might take awhile but my time is free. Also, the one that is pictured I think is the pattern I'll go by. It looks snug enough to the tire and high enough for the conveyor belt. ( I hope ) It looks close the pictures I've seen.

dex..those look very good ! if you take the one that fits the best, that can be your '' jig '' . the ones bent and welded look good also. i don't think they should be too tight on the tires so you can test different lbs. of air for the best ride , etc. i know on my adair tracks...the plastic grousers are not real tight and iv'e not thrown a track because of that. even if each grouser is not exact i don't think there will be a problem with how well they perform . how thick of belting and how wide will you use ? j.b.

+ Reply to Thread