Max IV muffler help ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV muffler help ???

Max IV muffler help ???

I have a 2008 Max IV with a Kohler Command 25 H.P. engine. When I bought it , the tail pipe that sticks out the hole in the engine cover was missing . The heat from the exhaust is starting to melt the black trim around the hole in the cover. The muffler could use replacing , but I can’t find a listing for it anywhere. I found similar mufflers , but none with the tail pipe. I also found a tail pipe , but the listing doesn’t say it will fit my muffler. Anybody else run into this problem ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you can find a similar muffler maybe you can have a tail pipe welded on. Some of the max mufflers were custom or slightly modified just for Max.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Another option would be to use heat wrap or a heat reflective barrier to move heat off of the trim. Header wrap can be had for cheap and stailess steel zip ties can be found at your local lowes/home depot in the electrical section.
    1973 Argo 6x6....23hp vanguard (project in the work)

on another machine that I had, which had a "discontinued" muffler, I purchased an engine "OEM" muffler and had a guy at a shop weld on a pipe extension....he was very good, as he had various pipe sizes, and could bend them as well...as I no longer have the machine, I cannot post a photo, but he said it was not that much of a deal to do... I think that I paid him $25 for the work
    This is similar to what Richards Relics seems to be doing for the exhaust manifold pipes for older MAX II machines with B&S Vanguard engines... it appears that a factory manifold pipe is modified with an welded add-on.

Food for thought, mud buddy motors sells aftermarket exhaust systems for there motors which are just vanguards etc. it’s worth looking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by hipowerone View Post
    on another machine that I had, which had a "discontinued" muffler, I purchased an engine "OEM" muffler and had a guy at a shop weld on a pipe extension....he was very good, as he had various pipe sizes, and could bend them as well...as I no longer have the machine, I cannot post a photo, but he said it was not that much of a deal to do... I think that I paid him $25 for the work
    This is similar to what Richards Relics seems to be doing for the exhaust manifold pipes for older MAX II machines with B&S Vanguard engines... it appears that a factory manifold pipe is modified with an welded add-on.
    As far as OEM , I called Kohler and Jack's trying to purchase a muffler to fit the the engine and was going to have the tail pipe welded on by a muffler shop. Both told me they had no listing for that engine and could not help me. I asked them to try and cross it with another model and they said ..... sorry.

Call Richard Relics to see if he can secure one. His web site shows it as out of stock but you never know maybe he has a take off. BTW the original oem muffler was not cheap due to all the extra welds and supports to raise the muffler. There are some command 20 and 25 mufflers available thru Stens but are low mount units and do not give you much clearance over the clutch.
    Acta non verba

+ Reply to Thread