78 Sierra Trail Boss

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 78 Sierra Trail Boss

78 Sierra Trail Boss

This past weekend I bought this little AATV.

For what I paid for it you can't buy the motor new or used.
    Doesn't look to bad body in good shape with very little scratching.
    Tire appear to be original lots of tread on the lugs and plenty of weather cracks but are all holding air.
    Very little rust on the frame and chains.
    Chains all look good with no slop and don't look stretched.
    Guy who sold it couldn't get it to run took me about an hr but I got it going barely before buying to check if the tranies worked.
    A previous owner swapped out the 2 stroke with a 20 hp Vangaurd.
    Once I got it home put new plugs in it, fresh fuel and fuel filter and it fired right away.
    This thing is pretty quick now the 2 trans need to get adjusted as the left stick moves about 8" and the right about 3".
    I've spent the last cple days reading the posts on this site on these machines so I know how to set them now.
    Will be doing a fluid change as well on the tranies and the motor and then tackle a fairly messed up wiring harness.

I do have a cple of dumb questions.
    On the bottom right at the back on both sides are holes about 7/16 in the body extentions where the frame sits.
    I know they are drain holes just not sure why.
    Are they there from the factory or did someone add them at some point.
    I know from yrs of boating we would pull the drain plug while in the water and moving to get rid of the water in the boat.
    As most of the time you would be moving through the water they would allow splashed water to escape and once out of the water would allow water to drain out to help prevent rot to the frame.
    Considering how much design work went into making these things water tight then why an open hole that is this small that can and were plugged up with garbage on this one.
    I don't know if I could find a locking plug this small to put in them.
    As part of my plan is to gain entry into better hunting positions I'll be sitting out in water not moving that's deeper than the Trail Boss is tall for many hrs.
    Wouldn't a screw in brass or plastic drain plug into a brass bung have been a better plan.
    Any how it'll be something I'll be addressing before hunting season, will see what my local boat place has that could be used.

2nd question is as this thing is a redish orange color.
    From what I've seen on this site and others I believe they all were built in this color.
    Would painting it camo colors hurt it's collector value if there are collectors out there.

I'm sure there will be more important questions in the future as I get into repairs and fixes on this new project.

Here's a cple pics
    the fan on the back deck was added by the seller as he felt the exhaust heat was to too high inside the body.
    Attached Images

Awesome! The fan is very creative. I dont know why the drain holes would be that small. Mine were opposite...they were around 15/16. For years I used corks. Then I plastic welded mine then redrilled to 3/4 so I could use a Max drain plug. Also they did make yellow colored bodies. These are more rare. I know of one in the U.S. and another in Sweden. The one in Sweden also was made with a steel lower tub rather than polyethylene.

Nice condition of that machine!
    camo will reduce value, but if you don't plan on selling doesn't matter. Also not a high resale value regardless.

As for "Water tight" 99% of AATV's leak, most quite fast, water time is limited by how safe you feel with a few inches sloshing around under the clutch. I do agree they are a pain to keep from having the plugs ripped out when you drive over rocks and such. But also 99% of your driving may not include ever taking it in water, so just leave them out. Likely once you see the challenges of water exists you may be less inclined lol

Quote Originally Posted by AllenCordier View Post
    Awesome! The fan is very creative. I dont know why the drain holes would be that small. Mine were opposite...they were around 15/16. For years I used corks. Then I plastic welded mine then redrilled to 3/4 so I could use a Max drain plug. Also they did make yellow colored bodies. These are more rare. I know of one in the U.S. and another in Sweden. The one in Sweden also was made with a steel lower tub rather than polyethylene.
    I dont know if anyone is reading this, but I just had to send a reply.
    I bought myself a Sierra Trail Boss a month ago, and are now trying to fix it up to working condition with a 377 snowmobile engine and new seals and bearings.
    I was just snooping around in here when I happened to read the quoted posting and got very awake.
    As you probably can see Im living in Sweden, and the Trail Boss I bought has a yellow top with a blue/greenish steel lower tub. ��

Since this peaked my interest I really would like to know moore about this probably a bit uniqe Trail Boss, so if there is anyone of you guys who could tell me the story, I would really appriciate the help.
    I would also be very happy for a bit moore history about this sixwheelers in general, and how to pinpoint the year they were made ??
    // Thanx from Mike in Sweden

Come on, so many competent 6 wheelers and no one knows anything about my Swedish yellow steeltub toy, or anything of the Trail Boss history ????
    Help out a Swedish nubie here, Please....

+ Reply to Thread