New Engine Advise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Engine Advise

New Engine Advise

Hi All

I have a max iv and to be honest the very old engine on this is being a real pain in the ass, i have the opportunity to get a replacement , old stock but still new in the box for a real good price, 20HP so gives me a couple more horses, the crank is exactly the same diameter and keyway, so should just be a case of swapping it over.

My question to the knowledgeable persons of the forum, is there anything special to commission the engine before i go and start it up , i thought oil, take out plugs and give it a spin etc....

As always your advice and help is very much appreciated.

tell us a little more about the engine you are getting. you may have to rewire, new exhaust....with a brand new engine, I like to fill them with oil and turn the engine upside down very briefly. just long enough to get some oil film on the rings and cylinder walls. it should have assembly lube anyway, but better safe than sorry. I would do an oil change and filter after about 30 min run time
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It will be a 20HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, some rewiring required as the starter is on the engine, so will have to convert to a remote start, and work out a new cable battery to solenoid which is on the power unit not the frame like the old one, i should be fine getting it running , good tip as regards the oil on the rings, what about squirting a little down the bores with the plugs out and giving it a spin to lube up before putting the plugs in ? It has been sitting in its original box for a few years, brand new old stock so to speak ....

Quote Originally Posted by howdah View Post
    what about squirting a little down the bores with the plugs out and giving it a spin to lube up before putting the plugs in ? It has been sitting in its original box for a few years, brand new old stock so to speak ....
    I don't think it would hurt in the least. just don't use synthetic oil. if it's too slick it will impede the rings seating
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It wouldn't hurt to open the air cleaner and make sure nothing has nested in there.

Wiring Help

Good Morning all

Finally picked up my new engine and i am one happy person , although i have a couple of questions, first one, what are the Blue and Red wires for that come from the rectifier into the connecting block, also what are the white and red wires for that come from the ignition switch ?

Best bet would be to pull the flywheel shroud and trace them. red and blue are your charge wires if they are coming from the rectifier. the other 2 are probably carb solenoid (needs 12v+ switched to run) and low oil shutoff.

White and red come from key switch?
    My guess is its a low charging engine and the red/blue pair are for a oem mower circuit with red charge and blue lights.

Look up the spec of the engine and find out amps of charging system, you could probably use the rectifier from the old engine.
    Next as Bryan said trace the red and white to key switch, one should be power to switch and one may be power out to accessories/gauges etc.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

OK , got the wires sorted , for future reference and anyone else in the future searching the forum.

Red Wire from Rectifier, Charging wire
    Blue Wire from Rectifier, For Charging Meter (if fitted)

Red and White wires < normally open until ignition is on
    (Red Wire from Ignition , Live feed UP to Ignition Switch)
    (White Wire from Ignition, Live feed DOWN from Ignition Switch)

+ Reply to Thread