Kohler KT17 No spark

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler KT17 No spark

Kohler KT17 No spark

Have just partially rebuilt a Kohler KT17, using new battery, coil, leads, condenser and plugs. Checked voltage is getting to coil from RUN position, and continuity to earth all okay. Points are opening and closing, .020" gap. I have a new set of points, but the old ones looked fine, not burnt at all. Absolutely zero spark, so I am assuming something simple. The only thing of note is that somehow the battery was connected in reverse, obviously rectified, bht could this have wiped out condenser ?

these engines have a reputation for the magnets on the flywheel coming loose. may not be it but just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    these engines have a reputation for the magnets on the flywheel coming loose. may not be it but just a thought
    Would that result in no spark at all ?

yes had same problem with my M18 which is just 90s version of the 17 basically. JB weld them back on and way to go.of course there is more to it if that is actually the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    yes had same problem with my M18 which is just 90s version of the 17 basically. JB weld them back on and way to go.of course there is more to it if that is actually the problem.
    When you say there is more to it, how do you mean?

gotta align the magnets right as the have different poles(some attract and some repel) and use the end of a clothes pin to get the spacing right between them all.

Okay. No sign of anything loose on flywheel. Showing my ignorance, but thought that would only result in not charging. Anyway, anything else I may be missing ?

did u make sure staor and flywheel were clean. stator contacts may be dirty and i would remove it as i believe it has some sort of ground to the engine .check stator wires as well. like i said im not used to condensers and points so someone else will have to help but other than that make sure coil gap is 0.10 all plugins are connected properly and new plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    Okay. No sign of anything loose on flywheel. Showing my ignorance, but thought that would only result in not charging. Anyway, anything else I may be missing ?
    Clean points reset at .018-.020 and check for spark at points while cranking, if nothing replace condensor and recheck. If so continue down line.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Can someone tell me the spec of the condenser, so I can source one locally ?

+ Reply to Thread