Attex: Barn Find /Survivor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex: Barn Find /Survivor

Back in the day, somewhere around 1975 I had a high school buddy that had a 6x6. After getting out of school he went on to join the Marines and ended up in the middle east and never came home.
    This AATV sat in his family's barn for more than 35 years. A few years ago his family contacted me asked if I would like to inherit it. We pulled it out of the barn and brought it home. We gave it a good bath, replaced any rusted chain, lubed anything that moved. I also replaced the brake and drive disks, replaced the battery and went over the motor.(changed oil, plugs, cleaned carbs ext.) To my surprise it started up and ran, (a little funky) but it goes FWR no REV, stops, turns R&L. Now it been sitting in my shed for a few years not being used. (Here' a laugh for you. When we were cleaning it up we took it down to the bay to see if it would float, only to find out that somebody back in the day drilled drain holes in the floor. Thank god there was a guy with a boat to get us back to the slip or there would be a big yellow anchor out in the bay.)

I am looking for a little help identifying this AATV. I was told it is a 1970-1971 Attex 208 TT. I can't find any labels or numbers on the frame rails or the tub. Does it have any value $, is it junk or is it a vintage 6x6. Is it worth braking up for parts or keeping all original stock

Good Things: Bad Things:
    Clean, no rust on frame Not made for a 300lb driver
    Motor runs grate Has No Reverse
    6- New old stock tires Does not like deep mud or deep soft sand
    New chain were needed
    New Drive/Brake pads
    New Battery

Being new to the web site, I will be trying to post pic. in the next few days. If I can't post in a timely matter you are welcome to E-mail me and I will send them to you Bootsy01@Comcast.net
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobby D; 09-10-2018 at 11:05 PM.

attex barn find

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post

Back in the day, somewhere around 1975 I had a high school buddy that had a 6x6. After getting out of school he went on to join the Marines and ended up in the middle east and never came home.
    This AATV sat in his family's barn for more than 35 years. A few years ago his family contacted me asked if I would like to inherit it. We pulled it out of the barn and brought it home. We gave it a good bath, replaced any rusted chain, lubed anything that moved. I also replaced the brake and drive disks, replaced the battery and went over the motor.(changed oil, plugs, cleaned carbs ext.) To my surprise it started up and ran, (a little funky) but it goes FWR no REV, stops, turns R&L. Now it been sitting in my shed for a few years not being used. (Here' a laugh for you. When we were cleaning it up we took it down to the bay to see if it would float, only to find out that somebody back in the day drilled drain holes in the floor. Thank god there was a guy with a boat to get us back to the slip or there would be a big yellow anchor out in the bay.)
    Just wondering about those drain holes. How many holes were there and where were they? There were two 5/8 (i think) holes in the floor from the factory. Use marine boat transom plugs to plug those holes..

Neat story. I got into the hobby the same way - high school memories.

What a sad story, sorry about your friend. Looks like a very well preserved, should be a lot of fun. I'd suggest you lubricate the planetaries and clean the drive clutches to prevent damage to anything. It'll also go a lot better in water if you put the tires on the other way around. They should be what looks backwards for most other applications.

Glad it went to a good home, sorry about your friend.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

+ Reply to Thread