1/2 links for chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1/2 links for chains

1/2 links for chains

Can anybody (and I'm sure alot of you goo-roos can) explain the concept behind useing a 1/2 link on drive chains? I figure you have to use two at a time, which makes it a full link anyway. So what is the purpose? And how can a 1/2 link maintain the proper distance between rollers to fit the cogs on a sprocket? I never worked with 1/2 links, so I'm just stabbing at theories here. Thanks in advance for the crash course!!!!!!!!!
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Disregard folks. curiosity got the best of me, so I went out and looked at a chain. I answered my own question. Sorry for jumping the gun.

Smile half links

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff t-boss View Post
    Can anybody (and I'm sure alot of you goo-roos can) explain the concept behind useing a 1/2 link on drive chains? I figure you have to use two at a time, which makes it a full link anyway. So what is the purpose? And how can a 1/2 link maintain the proper distance between rollers to fit the cogs on a sprocket? I never worked with 1/2 links, so I'm just stabbing at theories here. Thanks in advance for the crash course!!!!!!!!!
    Jeff- most guys in the know, don't trust half links.It was interseting to listen to Dan Mighty Max try very hard not to use a half link when he changed the sprocket size on his t20 to get lower gearing. apparently that was the ONLY way that he could get the chain hooked up, but he made it clear that when the chain stretched a little,the half link was going to be gone. this site is the greatest learning tool there is that doesn,t involve getting bloodied.

Thanks! That's why I asked here and not at a local hardware store. In what you stated, I guess my final analysis would be as simple as "1/2 link equals 1/2 chain link tensil strength." Makes all the more sense. ............Jeff

The half link method came about when people have a 6x6 with chains stretched beyond use. You can "tighten" the chain by cutting out a full link and putting in a half. It does work... for a while. Then it destroys all your sprockets since the chain rollers no longer match the sprocket teeth. It's never a good idea to use half links on our machines.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    The half link method came about when people have a 6x6 with chains stretched beyond use. You can "tighten" the chain by cutting out a full link and putting in a half. It does work... for a while. Then it destroys all your sprockets since the chain rollers no longer match the sprocket teeth. It's never a good idea to use half links on our machines.
    X2
    I cary them with me, but would only use them to get out of a jam.

Yes, they really are for an emergency only. I think they were really only designed for use where a chain adjuster could not take up a whole link of change. I understand your situation, but if it's a matter of not wanting to or having the $$$ to spend on a set of new chains, your better off waiting to save for the chains, or you WILL soon be buying new sprockets too.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

If I have enought slack to remove a full length link to shorten the chain, would this be okay to use for a while?

Tech; absolutely.

On the 6 chain Attex ST models, it's almost a necessity to use a 1/2 link when installing new chains (on new sprockets) for the first time on the rear of the machine. Get a few hours of time on them, and the chain has stretched enough to remove the half link.

To make it clear, the addition of half links doesn't change the pitch of the chain. The distance between the rollers does not change. The centerline distance between the chain rollers still matches the pitch of the sprocket. If it did not, you'd have a very serious issue when that link encountered the sprocket during its first revolution. You haven't "stretched" the chain and changed any distance, except the overall length of the chain by simply ADDING a piece. You've added one half of one link (or removed one full link) of the chain (keeping the same pitch) in order to make up where the adjusters cannot.

While I'm not advocating their use, I've used half links on each of my machines with no ill affects. I've thrown lots and lots of horsepower at #50 half-links, and they hold up fine. The right course of action, naturally, is to keep your sprockets and chains in good clean, oiled condition. I don't believe many manufacturers designed the machines to *need* half links during the course of maintenance, but I don't think it means they can't be used when necessary.

~m

Thank you Mike. I kinda see how I wasn't clear. ANY means of shortening an overly stretched chain, Be it a half link, or removing a whole link, so that it can be used again, will quickly kill sprokets, because the stretched chain no longer lines up with the sprokets spacing. The use of a half-links will NOT in itself kill sprokets. I have heard that they are weaker, I guess because of the bend in the sides, but have not experienced any problems myself. And "Lots and Lots of Horsepower" to you, Mike, is probably more than most machines will ever see.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread