'96 Argo Conquest Driven Clutch Adjust. ?????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '96 Argo Conquest Driven Clutch Adjust. ?????

'96 Argo Conquest Driven Clutch Adjust. ?????

Hi guys, Im new here to the forum and have a question for anyone that has had any experience with getting the driven clutch of the shaft to add a spacer washer behind it. When I throttle wide open, the back clutch plate contacts the drive chain and makes a horrible sound as the pulley is grinding away at the chain. I have sprayed liquid wrench all over and even used a heat gun, and then evenly whack it, to try to free the pulley, but with no luck. Any suggestions would be GREATLY Appreciated!!
    Dennis
    Last edited by airanger2001; 08-13-2008 at 06:40 PM.

"Whacking" should NOT be necessary, if/when you get it off clean the shaft and the clutch. Then apply a good anti-seize to the shaft before putting the clutch back on.
    Having said that here are a couple options:
    -Carefully try to get a prybar between the clutch and the trans. If you can get it to move, even a little bit, you will be able to get lubricant in there.
    -You could build, or have a puller built. Just make sure that the puller is pulling "across" the back of the inner clutch plate and not at the edges.
    -Cut the clutch off with Zip-Cut disks and an Angle Grinder. Be carefull not to score the shaft.
    - *If ALL else fails*, you can cut it off with a Gas Axe (Cutting Torch). I have never had to do this with a Secondary Clutch, but I have done it twice with Primary's. It's NOT easy, and I would not recommend that you try it yourself. What I did was:
    Get out the garden hose and fill the Argo with water, up to just under the shaft.
    KEEP GARDEN HOSE HANDY
    Make small cuts, and cool with water after each cut.
    Once at the point of just having a "sleave" of clutch metal over the shaft, use the torch to "wash" the remaining metal from one side of the the shaft. COOL OFTEN with water.
    Remaining clutch metal will probably "spring" apart from the trans shaft.
    *Try to keep torch pointed away from shaft seal*
    *Make sure to cut the clutch spring BEFORE you do anything like this*
    *I have only even mentioned this as a LAST RESORT, I don't recommend it in ANY way*

RD

*Make sure to cut the clutch spring BEFORE you do anything like this*

That sounds ominous
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

lol
    Probably dumb of me to even mention that it I've done it. Cutting the spring is not so bad, just heat it with the torch tip in a few places to take most of the spring out of it, then cut it in a couple places with the torch. Washing the clutch sleeve of the shaft, without damaging the shaft or the seal, is the hard part.

+ Reply to Thread