Help Comet Clutch Removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Comet Clutch Removal

Help Comet Clutch Removal

I bought a junk snowmobile for the engine. It has a 1980 Kawasaki 440 with dual mikuni carbs and a comet clutch. In order to remove the engine from the sled the clutch needs to be removed. I got the outer half of the clutch off. I can't get the inner half off. What should I do? Should the brass sheaf be stationary or is my galled on? How do I get the inner half off?
    Attached Images

Hey Evil,

You need to use a cutch puller. I know HydroMike can tell you how to make your own.

The long tube sticking out in the first picture should be threaded inside. The clutch puller(bought or homemade) screws into that tube. You crank it down (like you were tightening the puller) and eventually it reaches a point where it hits the bottom of the crank and lifts it off the crank. I think the whole unit should have come off as one piece (not two halves).

George
    Banned

Having the puller made my clutch removal alot easier than it could have been. I wish I could say my dad had one but we couldn't find my uncle's when his shop closed (And he's going to need one for 2 comet clutches on his old racers). Having the whole unit together (like George said) gave me more leverage to use channel locks on and a breaker bar on the bolt/punch combo or clutch puller (which ever you use).

like this:

this is a typical threaded puller

At least the Comet puller should be easier to find than the old Rotax puller. I wonder what this engine is going to go into?

BTW - if you guys are going to Phillipsburg, you should caravan w/ my dad.

Is your dad going to compete this year?
    Banned

George,

He's a busy guy but, He definately wants to go and if he can get some spare time and a few bucks to fix up a more "amphibious" racer, he may be up w/ a machine to compete.

Thanks guys. I think I know what to do now. I had had a friend come over to help today, he brought a puller that was more like a flywheel puller. We thought if we took the one half off, his puller would work but it didn't fit. Oh well we did more work than we had to but nothing was damaged.

I am interested in learning how to make my own puller.

techfx,
    The engine is going in an Attex Racer. I will be getting the body and frame next weekend. I am addicted to these machines.

We are planning on going to Phillipsburg. We will definitely talk to your dad before than.

Thanks again for your help.

[QUOTE=evil8x8;21120]
    We are planning on going to Phillipsburg. QUOTE]

Hey Evil,

Are you planning on bringing your new racer?
    Banned

[quote=George;21125]
    Quote Originally Posted by evil8x8 View Post
    We are planning on going to Phillipsburg. QUOTE]

Hey Evil,

Are you planning on bringing your new racer?
    I wish. I'll be lucky if it's ready for Ledges 2009. I am in new territory with the t20 (still need to find) and the 2 stroke. I am confident we will be able to do everything but it might take a while. I will bring my Argo to Phillipsburg and just hangout.

+ Reply to Thread