"new" old argo... need some help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "new" old argo... need some help!

"new" old argo... need some help!

another one followed me home i picked up and argo 8x8 this morning. the tag on the dash has the # kb5982 i take that to mean that it was built in 1982. things look to be in ok shape with a few issues. here is where i need some help. 1) key... i don't have one. a lawn tractor ignition switch will work if i must. 2) the wiring is butchered... anyone have a wiring diagram?(kohler 17hp v-twin engine) what is the blower in the right front by the way? is it supposed to blow on the brakes? 3)brakes... seems to be out of fluid and i can't get the caps off the masters. any tricks to getting those corroded screws out?
    thanks for any help
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NO, do not take it as an '82 cause of that number, that is just an IDplate, has nothin to do with the year, the blower is to blow on the rotors to prevent brake fade, blowers did not start till '88, Ill try and help you out with the year, so you have a Flat 17 horse Kohler, is the engine red? does it say Magnum on it? do you have any guages? do your steering bars go right down to the floor?

ok, engine is grey... and faded. steering bars go down to master cylinders on top of the trany. i'll post some pics tonight. as for guages, there is an hour meter and a amp guage.
    thanks for the help
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

well... if patience is a virtue, it's one i don't possess after losing a battle with 2 pairs of vice grips, the ignition switch now works with a screwdriver. threw in a new battery and she cranked... a little eather and it fired. the tank is full of old gas so i ran a temporary line to a cup of gas on the fender and she runs!!! well!!! luckily my 2 year old did a thorough inspection yesterday that involved pulling the steering levers a hundred times each. both brake lines cracked in the process. if he hadn't done that for me, i would have hit the trail and had a failure right off. should be able to steal a few lines from work tomorrow. what brake fluid do i need to use? the winch even works. here are a few pics. any help on the year and model would be appreciated. i also got a windshield with it. any point in instaling it here in north carolina? it folds down, so i geuss it could be out of the way if i don't want it.
    Attached Images

one more question... what kind of fluid goes in the trans on an argo?

Looks a "tad" older than a Magnum which started in '89 so i'm gonna say '87-'88, gear oil goes in the tranny, nice find let me know if you wanna get rid of her, ill come down and take her off your hands

If your brakes are like mine they should use DOT 5 brake fluid. Good luck with geting it back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    well... if patience is a virtue, it's one i don't possess after losing a battle with 2 pairs of vice grips, the ignition switch now works with a screwdriver. threw in a new battery and she cranked... a little eather and it fired. the tank is full of old gas so i ran a temporary line to a cup of gas on the fender and she runs!!! well!!! luckily my 2 year old did a thorough inspection yesterday that involved pulling the steering levers a hundred times each. both brake lines cracked in the process. if he hadn't done that for me, i would have hit the trail and had a failure right off. should be able to steal a few lines from work tomorrow. what brake fluid do i need to use? the winch even works. here are a few pics. any help on the year and model would be appreciated. i also got a windshield with it. any point in instaling it here in north carolina? it folds down, so i geuss it could be out of the way if i don't want it.
    Nice find,
    I wouldn't bother with the windshield, it will probably just get broken (if you're anything like me). You would probably die from the heat behind it anyway, if you use it.
    I see you have a bilge pump installed.......Make sure it is fastened in place well. You don't want it wound around a drive sprocket.
    Don't ever run old gas, these things DON'T like it. Bent pushrods and siezed valves are the result. I've had to do "trail fixes" on a few machines for guys that refused to believe this.

Congrats on the purchase

RD

a few more questions

brakes, is there any trick to bleeding the brakes? i think the plungers in my masters are stuck in the applied position, but i want to make sure i'm not missing something before i jump to that conclusion. they won't gravity bleed at all and i can't move any fluid
    trany, how do you check the fluid? it has what looks like a dipstick on the top left, but it won't come out. do i need to loosen the nut on the base? also, how do i drain the gear oil, and what is procedure for checking fluid (hot? cold? engine running in neutral?)?

thanks again for the help

Nice find!!!!

I agree with Rock on the windshield, I very rarely use mine. On the 2003 that i had these models generate heat pretty well and the windshield helps hold in in. Is a good foot warmer for the winter. If you get ready to put it on, your not far from the house. Good luck on the machine and will see you Saturday at the ride. I think you will like the 8x8.

Lewis

+ Reply to Thread