1974 295 wild wolf with no engine what engine should i use. New member

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1974 295 wild wolf with no engine what engine should i use. New member

1974 295 wild wolf with no engine what engine should i use. New member

Im a new member and have never had a 6x6 i just bought a 1974 attex 295 wild wolf with no engine but it has the t-20 transmission i was just wondering what are the best engine options and most straight foward engines to install like i said im new to 6x6 i have heard 340 or 440 yamaha snowmobile engines,briggs and stratton 18hp and 18hp duromax. The guy i bought the attex from has a 1994 arctic cat 580 ext snowmobile that runs good that i could buy super cheap. Would that be a option or should i use something else. I forgot to mention i indend to use this 6x6 manly for fun and not racing it around. I would appreciate any help. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 87gt563 View Post
    Im a new member and have never had a 6x6 i just bought a 1974 attex 295 wild wolf with no engine but it has the t-20 transmission i was just wondering what are the best engine options and most straight foward engines to install like i said im new to 6x6 i have heard 340 or 440 yamaha snowmobile engines,briggs and stratton 18hp and 18hp duromax. The guy i bought the attex from has a 1994 arctic cat 580 ext snowmobile that runs good that i could buy super cheap. Would that be a option or should i use something else. I forgot to mention i indend to use this 6x6 manly for fun and not racing it around. I would appreciate any help. Thanks again
    If you are just going to trail ride and have fun with it I would suggest a 4-stroke. I have one with a Duromax and it does just fine. It pulls my wife and I through the woods and up the trails with no problems. You also don't have to mix gas. Just my suggestion.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Thanks for your response

I seen this machine on Ebay a few times, iagree with smudvapor and go with a 4stroke motor and it will pretty much be trouble free!! that machine had the right tires for going through the mud too!

I would agree with Smudvapor as well. I have a ST300 with a 13hp predator and it performs great. Also have a Wild Wolf that i have an 18 hp Briggs i am going to put in it. If your going to trail ride 4 stroke is the way to go. Was going to put a Duromax 18hp in the 300 but decided on Predator, glad to hear Smudvapor likes his

Thanks guys for all the help i was thinking 4 stroke engine. I just found a 1981 yamaha with a 340 electric start engine that runs good i could pick it up for $200 i would like to get everthing up and running. But a 4 stroke would probably suite my needs better

Im leaning towards getting a new duromax 18 hp engine. What would be a good estimated top speed with this engine. Hoping for around 30 mph but honestly dont have any idea

Quote Originally Posted by 87gt563 View Post
    Im leaning towards getting a new duromax 18 hp engine. What would be a good estimated top speed with this engine. Hoping for around 30 mph but honestly dont have any idea
    I have a predator 22hp in my trail pig and the govenor is bypassed and it will run right at 33 WFO. can't hold that speed very long or you'll have a kaboom

I put a Honda GX390 in mine. It came off a generator which is completely not the ideal configuration, but it was sitting in the back of my shop...
    It fits OK, I had to do some clever fabrication to get it in there. Overall I'm pretty happy with the swap. Doesn't have quite the get up and go the two stroke had before it hemorrhaged parts, but it's not bad. Tops out at maybe 25 or so, I haven't measured. It's way quieter and much better at steep hill starts, it's better on gas, it starts easier, it's more reliable... I still wanna build a 6x6 with a big 2 stroke that really rips, but this is nice for putting around the back woods, taking a dip into the lake, etc.

Here's a walkaround video with some random musings about attex stuff...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6nhqMTecy4

Here it is just sitting in place, not yet finalized. You can see how it looks, though.

+ Reply to Thread