Another max 4 rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another max 4 rebuild

Another max 4 rebuild

Ok so I recently acquired a max 4 and have started the year down process. It had been sitting for a while with the previous owner. Luckily I havent seen any rust issues with the frame. The PO put so much grease the frame is coated lol. The 20hp Kohler unfortunately is junk. Was full of water and all corroded inside. I haven't pulled the engine mount off yet to fully uncover the t20 trans. It looks like something was done to the mounting. Will open that can of worms once I get the cover off. The rear seat was a pain to remove as it was bolted through the lower tub and the bolts were seized. Not sure if that's normal or it was a PO thing. I have plans to do the split shift using heim joints. I saw the post from another member ind it's super clean. I'm certain I'll have to reinforce the frame to support the t20. There is also damage and sloppy repair work to the abs I'll have to address aswell. I'm certain I'll have to replace all the tires as the PO have miss matches tires. That may have caused the abs damage honestly. The wiring is a mess aswell. Nothing super hard. Just time.At any rate I will attach some pics of the project as it sits right now. Any input or suggestions are appreciated
    Attached Images

hi there....i recently got a max IV.....serial #9168.......i'll be looking for your posts, as i'm rebuilding mine too...talk soon

Does your rear seat bolt through the lower tub? The parts manual doesn't make it look that way but pictures can be deceiving

So removed the engine mount and this is what I see when looking at the t20.. weather is getting crappy so not able to do a ton today. hope I didn't purchase something I wont be able to fix. Time will tell
    Attached Images

Seats should only bolt through the frame. Good luck mike

Looks like only one bolt left holding trans in

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Argojim. By what I see right now it looks like only 1 bolt and that strap the PO made is holding it in. Another day of crappy weather. Dont think I'll get anything further done today

The rear seat brace bolts to the lower tub to keep it from sagging.

20190304_164510.jpg20190304_164520.jpg20190304_164531.jpgOk I got the t20 out and see a bunch of bandages done to hold the trans in place. There is damage to the aft most area where it mounted as seen in the pics. None to happy about what I found although I was intending on reinforcing the trans mount location anyway. The PO didn't do a good job of a repair and wish I would have seen it before purchasing the project. Wondering now how far down the rabbit hole the goes lol. Any thoughts on the damaged frame? The entire frame has to come out for a thorough cleaning and inspection still. Hope to have it out and on saw horses soon weather permitting. As always your input is appreciated.

you have a good project going on there . i think once you get the frame out you will see how to come up with some fabricating ideas to put things back even better and stronger . i enjoy watching the process , thanks for posting . johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread