Another max 4 rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Another max 4 rebuild

I know just how you feel. I had to cut all 6 of my axles off and needed to fab new axles, hubs, sprocket assemblies, as well as the steering sticks and shifter bars. In all, what I bought was a rusty frame, a tub, and a rebuildable T-20 core. I had to buy an engine, engine tray, chains, and a whole lot of small parts too.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    I know just how you feel. I had to cut all 6 of my axles off and needed to fab new axles, hubs, sprocket assemblies, as well as the steering sticks and shifter bars. In all, what I bought was a rusty frame, a tub, and a rebuildable T-20 core. I had to buy an engine, engine tray, chains, and a whole lot of small parts too.
    That's essentially how this is feeling. I intend on redoing the controls and making a split shifter probably using heim joints. The engine was shot so I have a new one standing by already. The engine tray I have yet to look at honestly. The t20 I've got work to do. I noticed the clutch shaft has play into the t20 I'm a bit concerned about that but I'm. Ot sure if that's how it usually is on not. The major issues I have is going to be the frame repair though. Hope to get that wrapped up soon and move on to rest

I hope it was money well spent phabib.... I can vision how fun this will be over my ATV but the cost to re build it is kinda intimidating lol

Ok so a quick update. During to lack of work space and vrappy weather I have a local shop fixing up the rear frame on the frame. I have a bunch of parts on order and I came across a part I'm not sure if I need. On the drive system I see some rubber gaskets on the parts break down. On my particular model is that needed? I'm not sure and it would be great to know before I assemble the machine. Thanks

It all became money well spent this past Saturday. My son had his friends over for another work session. One team worked on chain idler adjustment and other final things, one team assembled the new cherry picker that will be used to get it off the sawhorses and onto the ground, while my son fabricated the new split shifter and control rods. I had some business to deal with from 3-5 and I was only allowed out of the garage when the people I was meeting with showed up. At 5 o'clock, my son was waiting for me to go to the store for a few nuts and bolts to finish up. We were back into the garage and he wasn't ready to stop until 11 when the engine ran and he tried out the steering levers and the split shifters to put the transmission into every possible setting. I'm sure I could have bought a running machine for what I've put into this over the years, but being able to see him learn the skills to make the parts he needed and gain the confidence of doing it made it all worth every penny. Another week or two and they'll be driving it outside of the tub.

Kids who had signed up for the motor sports club at school but never went to meetings are now coming to work on it and the club's faculty sponsor wants them to bring it to school for demos when its done. They're all talking about what to do for a project next year. I'm suggesting they buy some off road go kart plans and do a production line build with every kid getting a finished kart at the end of the year and then do a weekend trip to one of the off road parks to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    It all became money well spent this past Saturday. My son had his friends over for another work session. One team worked on chain idler adjustment and other final things, one team assembled the new cherry picker that will be used to get it off the sawhorses and onto the ground, while my son fabricated the new split shifter and control rods. I had some business to deal with from 3-5 and I was only allowed out of the garage when the people I was meeting with showed up. At 5 o'clock, my son was waiting for me to go to the store for a few nuts and bolts to finish up. We were back into the garage and he wasn't ready to stop until 11 when the engine ran and he tried out the steering levers and the split shifters to put the transmission into every possible setting. I'm sure I could have bought a running machine for what I've put into this over the years, but being able to see him learn the skills to make the parts he needed and gain the confidence of doing it made it all worth every penny. Another week or two and they'll be driving it outside of the tub.

Kids who had signed up for the motor sports club at school but never went to meetings are now coming to work on it and the club's faculty sponsor wants them to bring it to school for demos when its done. They're all talking about what to do for a project next year. I'm suggesting they buy some off road go kart plans and do a production line build with every kid getting a finished kart at the end of the year and then do a weekend trip to one of the off road parks to try them out.
    How long have you been working on this one? I'm trying to get this machine up fairly quickly. If I decide to to work to top half of tub I can always do that next winter. I just dont want to take apart the lower parts again anytime soon after this lol. I was still wondering about the play on my t20 driven clutch play. Is that normal? My gut tells me it shouldn't move like that but I have seen stranger things over the years
    Last edited by Nmmichris; 04-02-2019 at 02:30 PM.

I couldn't say I've been working on this thing for that long, more like bursts of activity followed by long periods of storage. It probably took me 3 months to get it apart, then another few weeks of making the new axles/hubs/sprockets/drive levers. After that, I spent a couple weeks of spare evenings assembling the transmission and didn't touch it again for 3 or 4 years. Then I started to re-assemble and and didn't return to it for a long time. In all, maybe 6 months of actual evenings and weekends spread out over 5 or 6 years.

They're planning to take it down off the sawhorses this weekend and try driving it prior to taking it back apart to paint or powder coat the frame and put it all back together and into the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmmichris View Post
    I was still wondering about the play on my t20 driven clutch play. Is that normal? My gut tells me it shouldn't move like that but I have seen stranger things over the years
    A little in and out movement is normal, but anything over, say... maybe 1/8" or so is beginning to be excessive. A lot of movement usually means that the thrust washers are spinning against the soft, cast iron center plate and slowly wearing it down. Early T20 thrust washers didn't have the bent tangs that hold them in place in a notch on the center plate. You can retrofit the old ones to accept them, though. I'm cheap and lazy, so I've had well over 1/4" of play before and just ran it.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    A little in and out movement is normal, but anything over, say... maybe 1/8" or so is beginning to be excessive. A lot of movement usually means that the thrust washers are spinning against the soft, cast iron center plate and slowly wearing it down. Early T20 thrust washers didn't have the bent tangs that hold them in place in a notch on the center plate. You can retrofit the old ones to accept them, though. I'm cheap and lazy, so I've had well over 1/4" of play before and just ran it.
    Well once I get the frame back and painted ill break open the t20 and check it out. hope its nothing crazy. replace the seals then assemble.. then on to control mechanisms. pics to come once I get the frame returned

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble of powder coating my frame or if some cold galvy and paint will suffice.

+ Reply to Thread