Home made tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home made tracks

Home made tracks

Ok I am new here and as I am good with tools and stuff I was thinking of creating some tracks....

Anyone here ever do that? If so what was the outcome like?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking of old conveyor belt material and perhaps some UHMW for cross bars ....

The idea of custom home made is more for fun and education than much else...

we do not get a lot of snow here but I sure would like to go up the mountains and ride in some during the winter months....maybe to go snowshoeing or something.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

[/IMG]
    here is a pic of a set I made from convayor belt.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Track Pics in Gallery

Go to the Gallery and search using "Tracks" you will see a few versions of home made tracks

most use snowmoble belts work great . i think chapy has made some . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Na Mine are super tracks from argo. I don't have the patients to build something like tracks.

sorry chap . it was bw6 that made the tracks useing snowmoble belts . and the guy that did the max water jump built his the same way . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Well it would be neat to make a set... just to say ya did it.

- It is finding some tracks that are the same in reasonable condition that is the first problem.
    - Getting the linking pieces would be the second problem
    - getting the parts to keep the tracks on the tyres the 3rd n final problem

Assembly would be time consuming and rest assured from the pictures no simple task but well worth the effort.

I will check with the local snowmobile dealers for potential track solutions

As for the linking parts no idea where to get em same with the parts that hold the tracks on the tyres....

For now these are only in the planning stage because until I get clearances figured out there just may be no room for em! who knows?
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

What about the old jiger tracks? They were just made of conveyor belts that had half moons cut out of them. I did see some pics of these, but wondered how they ever held up? Maybe someone here has had them back when they had a jiger?

I didn't make em, but these are made out of old conveyer belts

The connectors are easy to get, Wood/Pulp Mills use them every day, and the guides are easy to make but time consuming. The guides on mine are Factory, but I still don't know who or where they were made.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Well it would be neat to make a set... just to say ya did it.

- It is finding some tracks that are the same in reasonable condition that is the first problem.
    - Getting the linking pieces would be the second problem
    - getting the parts to keep the tracks on the tyres the 3rd n final problem

Assembly would be time consuming and rest assured from the pictures no simple task but well worth the effort.

I will check with the local snowmobile dealers for potential track solutions

As for the linking parts no idea where to get em same with the parts that hold the tracks on the tyres....

For now these are only in the planning stage because until I get clearances figured out there just may be no room for em! who knows?
    1. You need 3 or 4 used snowmobile tracks. Your can use any make/model, but the standard size is 15" wide x 121" long, so tape your circumference either 6x6 or 8x8 to determine how many track segments you need. Remove any studs. Here is a link to a local company here that is a snowmobile/ATV wrecker (recycler)

Snowline Sports

I paid $10.00/each, check your local or state sources.

2. To link the track segments you need a heavy duty continuous hinge. Here is a link to the company Spaenaur - CONTACT SPAENAUR

The part number is B-765 check it out from their catalogue here is the link.
    http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionL/L112.pdf

One length 84" is enough to do a complete of tracks cost is $68.50, you will need to drill or punch holes in this hinge and connect with 1/4" bolts.

3. The track guides are bent angles bent up from flat bar with a slight bend at the tire wall end away from the tire sidewall. 2 hole are drill in the horizontal leg of the guide, then attach them to the track at every second pitch. 1/4" bolts work fine. Check some of the pics in the gallery. But you need at least 4"-5" of vertical guide to keep the tire guided properly.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread