help max4 stall on incline

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help max4 stall on incline

Smile help max4 stall on incline

well what else do ask my max 4 18 hp vanguard recently started to stall on hills.fairly steep and short my engine just seems to want to stall. if hill was any longer i would suddenly find myself going backward thinkin oh %#&t. Does anyone hav an idea what would cause this?? seems to be new problem cuz i have easily climbed these banks before. I am getting better and braver and braver and am approaching these banks at different angles,but this thing is definatley stalling. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It could be a low oil shut down if your engine is running lower on oil. After that I would think maybe a fuel problem. How steep is it? Does it shut down the same if you go in reverse or maybe inclining the other way? I ask that cuz maybe a wire shorting out if it only happens one way.
    Last edited by LarryW; 08-21-2008 at 09:20 PM.

fairly steep 30-35 degree ?creek bank, never thought to try it backwards? scary thought ,although i did slide down backwards once cuz we all but stalled. was reading and someone else mentioned oil sending unit and or oil level. Thank you i will check oil tommorrow and see if ican find the sending unit .I do not know where to look for the sending unit if it has one.

Quote Originally Posted by new2memax4 View Post
    fairly steep 30-35 degree ?creek bank, never thought to try it backwards? scary thought ,although i did slide down backwards once cuz we all but stalled. was reading and someone else mentioned oil sending unit and or oil level. Thank you i will check oil tommorrow and see if ican find the sending unit .I do not know where to look for the sending unit if it has one.
    fill with oil first. befor working on the sending unit mine has to be jest a hair over the full mark .robbie
    Last edited by rdr; 08-21-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

thanks for the info. I checked the oil and it is right at full.I remembered i had put gas in a couple days ago,when i got this machine i had alittle trouble getting to idle and not shut off when the throttle was released from flat out run speed. What i remembered was i had run some seafoam thru it and put some in gas tank.I put couple onuces of seafoam in and headed for the creek,no problem today on same banks.The only other difference was maybe half hour run time , I was not out in the creek playing around for 45 minute like yesterday before tring to climb the bank. Thanks again for the advice.One more question,Do the 26"tires really swim that much better than the22" on max4?? I live creek side and really would like to have this puppy swim alot better than it does with 22" rawhide3 on it.I think it was Larry w that signature states he has 26"tires. Do you get it in water much and does it sacrifice power or anything else to run the taller tires?

oops sorry that was RDR that states 26"tire on max 4. does it really swim well and still climb steep banks?Mine is an older one round headlights pass thru bolt in axels and 18 hp vanguard.

The 26" tires are a whole lot faster in the water. They feel like you are using a trolling motor. However, you sacrifice ride quality and grip. They are very stiff tires so you will bounce a lot more and they won't wrap around obstacles as easily as the 22" ones. If you are spending a lot of time in the water it may be worth it.

I take my Max II with 22" rawhides out everytime I want to trail ride and I take the Max IV with the 26" tires everytime that I want to fish or play in a lake.

as mike stated they do ride a little ruff . but i would not trade my 26 for anything .love the water speed . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

hey thanks never thought about the stiff ride or not wrap around rocks as well,I must be careful cuz the banks are steep with sporadic rocks(handy for traction) but also grass and just plain old dirt and mud and plent of tree roots. I think these 22" ride ok considering its just the tire ,but it does get to bouncing some if i go to fast down the hil to the creek.I think i'm doing something wrong when that happens and just have not figured that part out yet.But i am learning how to drive it better and man i swear this thing will climb till it flips over backward,very cool but i can see me pushing it till im looking at the tree tops from around the bottom of this puppy. scarey but just to cool and just gotta try it all.Same thing happens in four wheel drive truck gotta go till its stuck to see what it will and won't do.I like the idea of more clearnce and better swimming though,i would think it would help in snow too. man its hard to decide and don't want to spend that kind of cash on new treads and be dissapointed in performance. guess you all have been there and done that and know thta feeling too. thanks again

one more thing,THIS IS A GREAT SITE! no one i know has one of these machines and i have never seen one around here.My girlfriend and my friends do not understand how i can have so many questions and be so exited about this thing.Thank you guys for for your help and thinkin this is just as cool as i do

+ Reply to Thread